Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2458 / 51°14'44"N
Longitude: 1.2293 / 1°13'45"E
OS Eastings: 625474
OS Northings: 154583
OS Grid: TR254545
Mapcode National: GBR VZZ.ZHS
Mapcode Global: VHLGQ.8Y7B
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross
Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 11 October 1963
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 177958
Source ID: 1070258
GOODNESTONE THE STREET
TR 25 SE
3/97 Church of the
11.10.63 Holy Cross
Parish church. Late C12 origin, extended C13, tower rebuilt C15. Nave
south porch and chancel by Rickman and Hussey, 1839-41 in C13 style. Flint,
knapped and coursed in C19 parts especially,with plain tiled roof. Nave
and chancel with north aisle and chapel, west tower and north and south
porches. West tower with plinth, 3 string courses, triple offset buttresses
and battlements, with south eastern octagonal stair turret. The west door
and triple light window form an ensemble, the string course raised over the
window enclosing a shield, with more shields in the spandrel of the hollow
chamfered doorway, and inscription. Orate P.T. boys adjustor isti op;
recording the financing of the church's rebuilding by Thomas Boys. Sundial
on stair turret and clockface on eastern tower face. Nave, chancel and
south porch all of squared, knapped and coursed flint and entirely of 1839-41
with plinth, corbel table, parapet, buttresses and quatrefoil headed
fenestration in shafted surrounds, with triple lancet east window. Triple
lancet east window also to north chapel but genuinely C13. The north chapel
and aisle have lancet windows and C14 and C15 trefoiled and ogee headed lights,
C19 north porch, probably not part of 1839-41 work, with four centred arched
doorway. Interior: tower stepped up from nave with hollow chamfered arch on
round responds with octagonal bases and caps with simple chamfered arch on
imposts to north aisle now blocked with smaller doorway. Nave and chancel of
unified design of high quality (given the date) with string course, shafted
reveals to windows, moulded drip moulds, with 4 bay north arcade of chamfered
arches with drip moulds on piers with stiffleaf capitals, with a further 2
bays from chancel to chapel. Hammer beam-Roof multiple mouldings on chancel
arch on triple clustered shafts. The side windows in the chancel with an
inner tracery screen. Two stone transverse arches to roof, that to east on
shafted responds. North aisle and chapel all of one build, with roof of
5 crown posts on crenellated wall plates with moulded tie beams. Fittings:
trefoil headed piscina in north chapel, otherwise mid C19, especially the
font, trefoil arcaded stone pulpit, sanctuary panelling, rails, benches and
pews. An ancient octagonal font bowl stands beneath the tower. Glass:
fragments in a north window, C14 St. Michael and bishop and C15 bishop.
Chapel lancets with glass by E.S. 1899, also signed AS EA EP. Brasses:
M L L
William Boys d.1507, 15 inch figures crudely engraved with 5 sons and 3
daughters, with the principal figures speaking with small Trinity over.
Thomas Engeham, d.1558, an armoured man and his wife about 18 inches high,
with 2 sons and 5 daughters, with achievement over and pawky verse. Vincent
Boys d.1558. Two feet high. Figures of man and wife with achievement over.
On the north wall is a brass of a lady with damaged inscriptions, about
15 inches high, reset on a wooden block. Monuments: St. Thomas Engeham,
erected 1621. Black wall tablet with white surround with fulsome
inscription, with strapwork base and ribband side pieces with death's heads
and symbols of time, of a pattern similar to local chest tombs (e.g.
Woodnesborough churchyard). Edward Engeham, d.1636. Wall monument in black
and white with kneeling figures under coffered arch, with 4 sons and 2
daughters kneeling below, with apron draped and decorated with cherub and
death's head. Broken pediment on Corinthian pilasters to surround.
Gabriel Richards, d.1672. Black wall tablet with white and gilt surround.
Latin inscription to the founder of the Almshouses still standing in
Goodnestone Street. Swagged base with enriched brackets with draped and
foliated side scrolls and triple recessed segmental head with cherub and
3 arms cartouches. Brook Bridges, d.1717, monument erected 1752 and
signed P. Scheemakers. Veined white marble wall plaque with garlanded
scrolled sides with winged cherub in segmental head with urns over, and
cartouche on base. (See B.O.E. Kent, II, 1983, pp. 334-5.)
Listing NGR: TR2541554411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings