History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Goodnestone, Kent

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2364 / 51°14'10"N

Longitude: 1.2499 / 1°14'59"E

OS Eastings: 626957

OS Northings: 153595

OS Grid: TR269535

Mapcode National: GBR W06.JS9

Mapcode Global: VHLGX.M631

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 11 October 1963

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1070283

English Heritage Legacy ID: 177914

Location: Goodnestone, Dover, Kent, CT3

County: Kent

District: Dover

Parish: Goodnestone

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Listing Text

GOODNESTONE CHILLENDEN
TR 25 SE
Church of All
3/53
Saints
11.10.63

GV II*
Parish Church. C12, with C14 and C15 fenestration. Restored 1871 by G.G. Scott.
Flint, in part coursed and set herring bone fashion, with plain tiled roof
and shingled tower and spirelet. Chancel nave and western bell tower and
north porch. Identical C15 two light Perpendicular windows and ogee headed
fenestration elsewhere, with exposed blocked head of C12 windows in chancel
north wall. C19 half-timbered north porch, the doorway with C19 or C20
attached shafts and tympanum carved with lamb and flag, original C12 billet
moulded head with zigzag drip mould, with C12 roll and wave moulded south
doorway. Chancel stepped in from nave, with interior frame for bell turret
at west end of church, with arcaded base, ogee braced trusses. Roof of
4 crown posts. Fittings: ogee headed piscina and shelved aumbrey in chancel.
Screen, of 1871, large with 3 ogee headed bays. Pulpit, C17, octagonal
with fluted pillar stem and fluted frieze to plain panel sides, supported
on carved brackets. Tester with drops at the corners, and panelled backboard.
C19 or C20 handrail on turned balusters. Glass: fragments of Medieval
glass in window heads. Monument to George Mutter, d. 1813. White pedimented
wall tablet on black background, signed T.Milnes (of London). (See B.O.E.
Kent II, 1983, 276).


Listing NGR: TR2710053528

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.