Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0714 / 51°4'16"N
Longitude: 0.9136 / 0°54'48"E
OS Eastings: 604216
OS Northings: 134264
OS Grid: TR042342
Mapcode National: GBR SZ1.PT4
Mapcode Global: FRA D6S9.5QK
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Location: Bilsington, Ashford, Kent, TN25
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 27 November 1957
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 181653
Source ID: 1071191
TR 03 SW BILSINGTON NEWCHURCH ROAD
6/68 Church of St.
Peter and St.
Parish church. C12 nave, refenestrated C14, C12 chancel. C16 tower.
Restored 1883 by Joseph Clarke. Ragstone, with red brick and
timbered south porch with plain tiled roofs and shingled tower upper
stage and spire. Chancel, nave, western tower and south porch. Two
stage tower on high plinth, the upper stage shingled with shallow
spire and finial. Small single western light, with Sydney Arms and
2 dates : 1590 over. Nave with massive C19 offset buttresses, with
C19 Decorated style fenestration to south and unrestored C14 windows
to north with ogee and early Perpendicular tracery. South porch with
red brick in English bond with C19 bargeboard and door frame. Simple
arched south doorway with C17(?) plank and muntin door. Chancel
stopped in with lancet fenestration (19 triple lancet east window).
Interior: nave with western doorway to tower with some re-used C12
tooled stonework in voussoirs and blocked deeply splayed Romanesque
window over south doorway. Roof of 3 C19 crown posts and simple
chamfered chancel arch, with, to the south, blocked doorways at base
and head of rood stair (external vice removed with C19 restoration).
Chancel with south-eastern lancet reveal brought low to ground, with
carved head jamb stop. C19 roof. Fittings: C19 sedile and piscina
in chancel; C14 trefoil headed water stoup by south doorway in nave.
Fragments of C14 glass in nave north windows. C20 reredos and
hatchment (for Lord Justice of Appeal, Sir Arthur Luxmore). Seven
oval prayer boards and 2 rectangular text boards in nave and Royal
Arms dated 1754 over chancel arch. (See B.O.E. Kent, I, 171).
Listing NGR: TR0426432956
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings