Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2472 / 51°14'49"N
Longitude: 0.2787 / 0°16'43"E
OS Eastings: 559132
OS Northings: 152242
OS Grid: TQ591522
Mapcode National: GBR MNF.R8L
Mapcode Global: VHHPT.SX59
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Location: Shipbourne, Tonbridge and Malling, Kent, TN11
District: Tonbridge and Malling
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 25 August 1959
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 357409
Source ID: 1072580
TQ 55 SE SHIPBOURNE STUMBLE HILL
3/21 (west side)
25.8.59 Church of St Giles
Church. Fragmentary remains of C14 chapel on site after complete rebuilding 1721-22
by James Gibbs, later replaced 1879-81 by Maun and Saunders for Edward Cazalet of
Fairlawne. Nave and chancel church with transepts in neo-Decorated style. Central
tower. Coursed ragstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled roofs. Tower. Pointed
arch openings at belfry stage. Crenellated parapet to pyramidal tiled roof with
weather-vane. Four corner animal gargoyles. North-east corner octagonal
stair-tower. Chancel. One bay. Three-light east window, gable parapet with kneelers
over. Transepts. Three-light and windows in recessed arches. Nave. Four bays.
Groups of 3 single light windows. Gabled north-west porch with gable-parapet and
kneelers. Columned arched entrance. Small round window in west end gable, pair of
2-light windows below. Interior. Full width arches across bays of nave with inlaid
decoration above and at impost level. Similar decoration above and around chancel
arch. Wooden barrel vault to nave with arved stone colonnettes supporting the ribs.
Ribbed and banded brick and stone vault to crossing. Shallow chancel with more inlaid
decoration, covered by boarded wooden vault. Carved reredos of Last Supper with
pinnacles over. Carved pulpit with moveable legs and parapet. Carved font with
marble legs. Wooden stalls with arched and pinnacled canopy across full width of west
end. Monument to Christopher Vane ; 1723 and his wife, Elizabeth, d.1725 in south
transept. Giant Aedicule surmounted by triangular pediment. Figures of Elizabeth to
left and Christopher to right, flanking urn on pedestal. Daughter, Elizabeth below,
kneeling. One arch from the medieval chapel survives, built into the interior of the
north transept. A photograph, an elevation and a plan of the Gibbs church are
displayed in the church.
Listing NGR: TQ5916252153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings