History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hyndburn, Lancashire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.7576 / 53°45'27"N

Longitude: -2.3939 / 2°23'38"W

OS Eastings: 374123

OS Northings: 429097

OS Grid: SD741290

Mapcode National: GBR CSQZ.JR

Mapcode Global: WH96X.6T87

Entry Name: Church of St James

Location: Hyndburn, Lancashire, BB5

County: Lancashire

District: Hyndburn

Town: Hyndburn

Locality: Church

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire

Listing Date: 9 March 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 183854

Source ID: 1072728

Listing Text

CHURCH ST. JAMES' ROAD
SD 72 NW
4/51 Church of St. James

- II*

Church; late medieval tower, nave 1804-5, chancel 1895-6. (Tower
under repair following fire, 1983). Mostly coursed sandstone, with
slate roof. Embattled west tower of uncoursed roughly-hewn blocks has
diagonal (west) and angle (east) buttresses, dripcourses above and
below the belfry, low rectangular west door with moulded jambs and
lintel, and a hoodmould, a 3-light Perpendicular window with a gabled
hoodmoulds, similar but smaller openings to 3 sides of belfry (clock
on 4th side), and various small single-light openings. Nave of 5 bays,
2 storeys, all windows round-headed with imposts and keystones,
containing later ogival-headed wooden tracery; chancel is rock-faced,
buttressed, 3 bays, with arched and traceried windows. Interior: 3-
sided gallery with traceried panels, carried on octagonal iron columns
with panelled faces and decorated capitals; at west end a reflected
pair of staircases to gallery; flat ceiling; 2 Morris windows (4
Evangelists) on south side; late-medieval octagonal font with blank
shields in faces; panelled benches with varied carved tracery on the
ends.


Listing NGR: SD7412329097

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.