This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6309 / 52°37'51"N
Longitude: -1.1406 / 1°8'26"W
OS Eastings: 458260
OS Northings: 304025
OS Grid: SK582040
Mapcode National: GBR FFL.5S
Mapcode Global: WHDJJ.G42F
Entry Name: Remains of St Marys Vicarage (The Chantry Building)
Listing Date: 14 March 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1074793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 188753
Location: Leicester, LE2
County: City of Leicester
Unitary Authority Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Leicestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire
Church of England Parish: Leicester St Mary de Castro
Church of England Diocese: Leicester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/09/2014
SK 5804 SW 2/301
THE NEWARKE (South Side),
Remains of St Mary's Vicarage (The Chantry Building)
(Formerly listed as Remains of St Mary's Vicarage (Store at Portland Shoe Factory))
Probably originally C14 though subsequently much altered. Believed to have been built to accommodate the Dean or one of the Canons of the College of the Annunciation of St Mary which was dissolved in 1547. Became St Mary's Vicarage in the late C17. Before its virtual demolition in 1949 it was a three-storey three-window stone house with slate gable-ended roof, rectangular window openings with wood mullion/tansom and leaded panes. All that remains is the ground floor stage: coursed masonry, rectangular on plan, central pointed archway, rectangular window each side, C19 fenestration with four-centred headed lights. The other elevation are patched with modern brickwork.
Listing NGR: SK5826004025
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings