History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hellidon, Northamptonshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2195 / 52°13'10"N

Longitude: -1.2465 / 1°14'47"W

OS Eastings: 451573

OS Northings: 258192

OS Grid: SP515581

Mapcode National: GBR 8SB.X98

Mapcode Global: VHCVJ.BGWV

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 18 January 1968

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1075284

English Heritage Legacy ID: 360577

Location: Hellidon, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN11

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry

Civil Parish: Hellidon

Traditional County: Northamptonshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire

Church of England Parish: Hellidon St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Peterborough

Find accommodation in
Hellidon

Listing Text

HELLIDON
SP5158
13/87 Church of St. John the
18/01/68 Baptist
GV II*
Church. Medieval west tower, nave and chancel restored and largely re-built by
William Butterfield 1846-1847; north aisle added 1867 by Butterfield, chancel
aisle 1897 by Mathew Holding. Coursed squared ironstone with limestone and red
sandstone dressings; slate roof. Chancel, north chancel aisle, nave, south
porch, north aisle and transept, west tower. East window has 3-light Decorated
style tracery and hood-mould with label stops. 2-light Decorated windows to
chancel and nave except for south-east chancel window of 2-lights with straight
head and hood mould. South porch has double-chamfered arch. South door has
moulded arch on imposts and a hood-mould and bears inscription AD 1591. 3-stage
battlemented west tower has red sandstone chamfered plinth, 1-light lancet
window to ground floor, west side, and 2-light windows with Decorated tracery in
red sandstone to belfry stage, except to south side which has a partially
blocked arched window. Interior: chancel has polychromatic zig-zag-tiled dado to
sanctuary and reredos of limestone inlaid with coloured marbles and tiles, and a
red marble gradine. Arch-braced collar truss roof, the east-bay painted, and a
painted inscription below wall plate. Simple painted decoration to soffit and
splays of chancel windows. Nave has north arcade with chamfered arches dying
into square piers and a scissor-truss roof. C19 stained glass east window by
Frederick Preedy; C19 windows to south side of chancel in west tower by
Alexander Gibbs: wall monument to restorer of church, Reverend C.S. Holthouse by
Butterfield.
(Holthouse papers, Northants Record Office, Buildings of England, Northants,
1973).


Listing NGR: SP5157358192

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.