This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.498 / 52°29'52"N
Longitude: -1.915 / 1°54'54"W
OS Eastings: 405864
OS Northings: 288903
OS Grid: SP058889
Mapcode National: GBR 5X2.1D
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.RGGW
Entry Name: Convent of Our Lady of Mercy
Listing Date: 25 April 1952
Last Amended: 8 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076306
English Heritage Legacy ID: 217308
Location: Birmingham, B19
Locality: Lozells and East Handsworth
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Lozells
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
Convent of Our Lady of
(formerly listed as
St Mary Convent under
SP 0588 NE 21/2 25.4.52
1840-41 architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin. Highly original and carefully detailed conventual building 2 storey red brick, stone dressed, ranges on a simple and functional E plan with rear wing and cloister. Straight-froward construction in a simple Tudor-Gothic style. Some diapering to the brickwork. Stone coped gable ends with finials. Steep pitched slate roofs, gabled dormers. External and ridge chimney stacks. Fenestration consists of simple stone mullioned casement and bay windows. The cloister to the rear has simple exposed timber truss roof and tiled floors. The original chapel was destroyed in the war. The convent is contemporary with a group of Pugin's innovatory rationally designed religious houses.
Listing NGR: SP0586488903
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings