This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2281 / 52°13'41"N
Longitude: -1.0741 / 1°4'26"W
OS Eastings: 463336
OS Northings: 259283
OS Grid: SP633592
Mapcode National: GBR 9TW.C85
Mapcode Global: VHCVM.B8J8
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 18 January 1968
Last Amended: 27 April 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1076520
English Heritage Legacy ID: 360844
Location: Weedon Bec, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN7
Civil Parish: Weedon Bec
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Weedon Bec St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
WEEDON BEC CHURCH STREET
SP6319 (North side)
17/197 Church of St. Peter and St.
(Formerly listed as Church of
Church. Late C12 tower, body of church rebuilt 1825, chancel of 1863 by E.F.
Law. Church re-seated and organ chamber added 1878. Coursed squared ironstone,
slate roofs. Chancel, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches,
west tower. 2-bay chancel has 3-light Perpendicular style east window, diagonal
offset buttresses, organ chamber to north with 2-light east window with
Y-tracery and north door with pointed chamfered arch, a priest's door with
chamfered pointed arch between 2-light Decorated style windows. Body of church,
nave and aisles in one, has 3-light pointed arched windows throughout with
simple iron tracery, diamond leading and hood moulds and north and south porches
both with 1825 datestones; doorway of north porch blocked (it now serves as a
vestry). Offset buttresses between bays, diagonal offset buttresses to angles.
3-stage west tower of limestone and ironstone rubble with ironstone quoins, has
west door with 4-centred head, cut spandrels and hood moulds, a 3-light
Perpendicular window directly above with hood mould. Middle stage has narrow
one-light windows to west and south with rounded heads and relieving arches.
Bell openings have round-arched heads and outer arches with shafts, imposts and
hood moulds. Battlemented parapet with string course below and to middle and
belfry stages. Interior: chancel arch of 1863 has many-moulded arch and shafts
with richly carved flower and foliage capitals. Nave has 5-bay timber arcades
with thin octagonal columns and Tudor arches with open spandrels; similar arches
between aisle bays. Flat, cross-beamed roofs to aisles, coved plaster ceiling to
nave with small central octagonal ribbed dome. Tower arch is low and pointed
with imposts. A medieval carved column base supports a miniature copy of the
Winchester Cathedral font from chapel of Ordnance Depot (Weedon Barracks q.v.).
Painted Hanoverian Royal Arms over tower arch. Various minor C19 wall monuments.
(Buildings of England: Northants, p.447-8).
Listing NGR: SP6333659283
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings