History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity (Church of England)

A Grade II Listed Building in Wareside, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8246 / 51°49'28"N

Longitude: 0.0223 / 0°1'20"E

OS Eastings: 539467

OS Northings: 215931

OS Grid: TL394159

Mapcode National: GBR LCT.DH8

Mapcode Global: VHHLZ.BDNL

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity (Church of England)

Listing Date: 24 January 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1077956

English Heritage Legacy ID: 356033

Location: Wareside, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Parish: Wareside

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Wareside Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Listing Text

TL 3915 WARE RURAL BABB'S GREEN
(east side)
Hareside
10/1 Church of the Holy Trinity
(C of E)
24.1.67

GV II

Church. 1841 by Thomas Smith, polygonal vestry c1900. Yellow
brick with stone dressings and slate roofs. C12 Italian
Romanesque style small church with apsidal chancel (hexagonal
outside) wide transepts with galleries, unaisled nave, vestry,
and a vaulted crypt under the E parts. The galleries are reached
by staircases in the angles between nave and transepts, the
northern one carried up as an octagonal bell turret. W gable
entrance, stone round-arched, enriched with dogtooth carving.
Romanesque wheel-window over. Narrow round-headed windows.
Consistent use of dogtooth round arches in interior on wooden pew
ends, gallery fronts, and internal porch. Romanesque style
wooden organcase with battlements. Nook-shafts and zig-zag
ornament to apse. Corbels and cushion caps to crossing arch.
Painted texts on walls. Flared stone font on short columns with
scalloped cans. Victorian stained glass. Puginesque brass in
chancel to Rev H H Coddington 1845. (Pevsner (1977) 332).
Wareside


Listing NGR: TL3946715931

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.