This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4101 / 51°24'36"N
Longitude: -0.2025 / 0°12'8"W
OS Eastings: 525112
OS Northings: 169434
OS Grid: TQ251694
Mapcode National: GBR CG.TY5
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.FTTC
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 May 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1080946
English Heritage Legacy ID: 205015
Location: Merton, London, SW19
Locality: Merton Park
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Merton St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
LONDON BOROUGH OF MERTON CHURCH PATH, Merton, SW19
11/17 Church of St Mary
Parish church. C12 and later, much restored; chancel early C13; C15, restored,
north porch; north aisle of 1866 by B Ferrey; south aisle of 1856 by F Digweed.
West arch of 1897 by H G Quartermain. Knapped flint facing, stone dressings.
Tiled roof to eaves (partly renewed). 4-bay nave, 4-bay chancel, north porch, short
shingled broach spire to west; no clerestory (dormers). 2-light nave windows,
pointed to taller north aisle, square headed with perpendicular style tracery to
south aisle; buttresses between. 3 pointed lancets survive to chancel; other side
windows 2-light; east window an insertion of 3-lights, perpendicular tracery.
Pointed arched moulded west door with head stops. North door C12 reset; zigzag
decoration to voussoirs, scalloped capitals to shafted jambs; old timber door with
fine C12 wrought iron work (hinges and decoration). Interior: Nave with alternating
circular and octagonal columns to pointed arcades. Open timber roof with tie beams.
4 bay chancel with fine capitalless ashlar wall arcades, early C13 and elaborate
c1400 crown-post roof with moulded tie beams and coved edges. Old timber door to
south side of chancel with C12 wrought iron work. South east window of chancel
with circa 1400 head of Jesus in tracery light. Several wall monuments including
that to Cook family with draped female figure by R J Wyatt (1832) and wall monument
to Gregory Lovell of Merton, (d 1597) etc. Reredos 1889, Ewan Christian. C19 font,
pews, pulpit, lectern. Hatchments. 1 window in south aisle of 1907 by Morris and
Listing NGR: TQ2511269434
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings