History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Titley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2357 / 52°14'8"N

Longitude: -2.9807 / 2°58'50"W

OS Eastings: 333125

OS Northings: 260178

OS Grid: SO331601

Mapcode National: GBR F7.1785

Mapcode Global: VH779.922F

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Location: Titley, County of Herefordshire, HR5

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Titley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 17 December 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149187

Source ID: 1081465

Listing Text

SO 36 SW TITLEY CP TITLEY

4/48 Church of St Peter


GV II

Parish church. 1865 by E Haycock Jnr. On site of former priory of a
cell of the order or Tiron, a branch of the Benedictine order. Sandstone
rubble with ashlar dressings and tiled roof. West tower, nave with north
aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. West tower of three
stages with string course and embattled parapet. Single lancets to each
stage. Clock face to south. Nave has plinth and a string course which
continues over the windows and acts as a label. Four bays with one single
traceried light to left and two windows with two cinquefoil headed lights
and quatrefoil in roundel to right of gabled south porch with trefoil headed
outer doorway. Four similar 2-light windows to north aisle. Tripartite
window to chancel with outer taller trefoil-headed lights flanking central
shorter light and trefoil in roundel, single trefoil headed light to right,
3-light east window. Interior has a four-bay arcade to the north aisle
with two-centred arched heads and circular piers with moulded bases and
capitals. Open arch-braced trusses to nave and chancel. Monuments on south
wall of chancel; two wall tablets, both Greenly memorials with broken pedi-
ment and cartouche of arms, Doric pilasters, commemorate John Greenly, died
1729 and William Greenly, died 1834. (BoE, p 300).


Listing NGR: SO3312560178

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.