History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Burton Court

A Grade II* Listed Building in Eardisland, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2099 / 52°12'35"N

Longitude: -2.8461 / 2°50'45"W

OS Eastings: 342284

OS Northings: 257190

OS Grid: SO422571

Mapcode National: GBR FD.2YFP

Mapcode Global: VH77C.MQ88

Entry Name: Burton Court

Location: Eardisland, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Eardisland

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 20 February 1953

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149825

Source ID: 1081945

Listing Text


SO 45 NW EARDISLAND CP -

4/43 Burton Court

20.2.53

GV II*

Country house. C14, remodelled.c1808, restored c1865 by F Kempson and
again in 1912 by Clough Williams Ellis. Timber-frame, clad and extended
in stuccoed brick and ashlar under a tile roof. North-east front has a
mid-C19 cross-wing to right, then the C14 great hall, with C20 porch and
range to left. C19 range to right has a segmental plan, two-storey bay
window, with three plate glass sashes. Hall to left has two windows of
early C20, that to right of 3 by 3 lights, that to left four lights wide by
three high, both with stone mullion and transoms. The porch to the left
is also early C20 with a shaped gable bearing a sun-burst design over a
moulded cornice. The first floor has stone cross window over the inscription
"PLC & EEC". The entrance is flanked by Doric pilasters rising to a moulded
entablature in the centre of which is set an elliptical window. The entrance
below has a moulded architrave and semi-circular head. The panelled door with
its semi-circular head has a centrally placed winged cherub's head. Interior
has a semi-circular plan stair hall of the early C19 (date of 1808 on a bell
to rear) with cantilevered stair which has a wrought iron balustrade. Great
hall roof of five bays with arch-braced collar trusses. Two tiers of purlins
with cusped wind-braces. Lateral stack on rear wall has an overmantel with
two tiers of arcaded panelling and bearing the date 1654. (RCHM, 3, p 47, no 3;
BoE, p 120; Guide Book, 1986 edition).


Listing NGR: SO4228457190

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.