History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lucton School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Lucton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2757 / 52°16'32"N

Longitude: -2.825 / 2°49'29"W

OS Eastings: 343807

OS Northings: 264497

OS Grid: SO438644

Mapcode National: GBR BF.YP6G

Mapcode Global: VH775.Z2D7

Entry Name: Lucton School

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1082082

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149436

Location: Lucton, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Lucton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Croft with Yarpole and Lucton

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Listing Text

LUCTON CP -
SO 46 SW

5/33 Lucton School

11.6.59

- II*


School. 1708, extended 1886. Brick with ashlar dressings and hipped
slate roof. U-plan, front range aligned north-west/south-east contains
central entrance hall, office to south, headmaster's room to south. Rear
wings to south-west, the northern one containing kitchens, the south a
dining room. North-east front: two storeys with attic lit by two hipped
dormers. Chamfered ashlar quoins, moulded stone cornice and brick band to
ground floor. 2 + 3 + 2 bays, the central portion slightly advanced with
pediment bearing a painted clockface inscribed: "IP/ 1708", within a scrolled
frame. The windows have boxed glazing bar sashes, the boxes with light mould-
ings. Central bay contains a niche with semi-circular head containing a
painted stone statue of the founder, John Pierrepont, almost life-size. Ground
floor windows are 15-pane boxed sashes under segmental heads. Entrance has a
semi-domed wooden canopy resting on carved and scrolled brackets. The roof is
crowned by a central wooden bell turret of square plan with arched openings,
cornice and ogee-shaped lead roof. The wrought iron weathervane is dated
1708. South-east front has a datestone set in a rebuilt chimney stack inscribed:
"Ex sumptibus/ Johannes Pierrepont/ Ano Domi MDCCVII". Interior: entrance hall
has large rectangular panelling with shallow moulding and stone bolection moulded
fireplace. Office has similar panelling. Fireplace with ovolo moulding and
small terminating scrolls. Headmaster's room has painted bolection moulded
panelling and bolected moulded fireplace. Staircase behind this room has turned
balusters, moulded handrail and moulded string. It ascends to the attics.
The Dining Room has C18 panelling at the upper end. It-also contains a memorial
to John Pierrepont, died 1711, removed from Lucton Church in1975. Most of the
first floor has dado panelling and panelled doors. (BoE, pp 242-3; RCHM 3,
PP 137-8).


Listing NGR: SO4380764497

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.