History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bockleton, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2495 / 52°14'58"N

Longitude: -2.5975 / 2°35'51"W

OS Eastings: 359302

OS Northings: 261428

OS Grid: SO593614

Mapcode National: GBR FR.0D8X

Mapcode Global: VH84R.XQNC

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Location: Bockleton, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR15

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Parish: Bockleton

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Listing Date: 18 April 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150689

Source ID: 1082473

Listing Text

BOCKLETON CP BOCKLETON
SO 56 SE
5/2 Church of St Michael
18.4.66

GV II*

Parish church. C12, altered mid-C13 with additions of circa 1560 and C17;
restored in 1862 by Woodyer. Sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone-
tiled roof laid in diminishing courses with parapets and cross-finials at
east gable ends. West tower, four-bay nave with opposing north/south door-
ways and two-bay chancel with north chapel. West tower: added late C16 to
early C17. Three diminishing stages with battered plinth and divided by
strings. Lower stage has an original Y-tracery west window and a later
north doorway with a segmental head. There is a circular west window on
the second stage. The belfry stage has pairs of cusped, pointed, louvred
bell chamber openings and above is an embattled parapet. Nave: easternmost
bay is expressed externally by pilaster buttresses and both elevations have
a C13 window of three stepped cusped lights with a hoodmould. To the west
of these in both walls are two original round-headed windows which flank the
doorways. Both doorways project and are surmounted by a blind arcade. The
north doorway is of two orders with two large roll mouldings between cable
mouldings with an outer band of embattled and lozenge enrichment. The jambs
have detached shafts with scalloped capitals and the spandrels have a vertical
billet moulding on each side and are carved with flowers in circles. The
arcade above is of five bays, stands upon an enriched string course; the
arches are enriched and their outer mouldings intersect. The south doorway
is of a single order with a four-bay blind arcade but otherwise similarly
detailed. The enriched string course beneath the blind arcades is continued
as a chamfered and quirked string course which is stopped on each side of the
windows and buttresses. The north string is discontinued to the west of the
doorway. Chancel: mid-C13. The east end has angle corner buttresses and a C19
window of five lights with a hoodmould and block stops and a sill string.
The south elevation has two C13 pairs of cusped lancets with hoodmoulds and,
between them, a blocked C13 doorway also with a hoodmould. The north chapel
dates from circa 1560. It has a 3-light east window and two 2-light north
windows; all are C19 and have hoodmoulds. At the west gable end is a cusped
pointed doorway and there is a cusped lancet in the gable apex; these are also
of C19 date. Interior: chancel has a C19 arcade of two bays with a central
circular column and two pointed arches opening onto the chapel. West of the
arcade is a C16 tomb recess with a segmental head and roll moulding (possibly
part of the original chancel arch). Nave and chancel have ashlared collar
rafter roofs; west part of chancel roof and collar and tie-beam truss in chancel
are possibly original. Stone reredos with foliated carving, piscina and
sedilia are C19. Traceried, arcaded timber chancel screen, circular font with
head reliefs and arcaded detailing and three-sided timber pulpit, all C19.
Memorials: Barneby memorials in north chapel include tomb chest with demi-
figures and shields with two elaborately carved recumbent effigies of Richard
Barneby, died 1597, and his wife Mary, died 1574. On wall behind are figures
of five sons and four daughters in relief flanked by demi-figures. Also, large
marble memorial to Charles Baldwyn, died 1706, and tomb chest to William
Wolstenholme Prescott by Woolner of 1865. Glass: east window is by Kempe of
c1905; also fragment of medieval glass in north-east nave window. (VCH IV,
p 244-5; BoE, p 94).


Listing NGR: SO5930261428

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.