History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Leonard

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hatfield and Newhampton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2311 / 52°13'51"N

Longitude: -2.6078 / 2°36'27"W

OS Eastings: 358586

OS Northings: 259384

OS Grid: SO585593

Mapcode National: GBR FQ.1HS3

Mapcode Global: VH84Y.R57Z

Entry Name: Church of St Leonard

Location: Hatfield and Newhampton, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Hatfield and Newhampton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150501

Source ID: 1082567

Listing Text

HATFIELD CP
SO 55 NE
10/11 Church of St Leonard
11.6.59
II*

Parish church. C11 core, chancel rebuilt and nave extended in the C14,
1723, east part of nave rebuilt. Restoration of 1878 and 1903 when bell
turret added. Sandstone rubble with dressings of same material, tiled
roofs, weatherboard cladding to late C19 or early C20 bell turret. Nave
with west porch and bell tower, chancel. Nave: north side with one
restored square-headed window with two trefoil-headed lights to left and
two similar windows to right of blocked C11 north doorway; plain jambs
with square head formed by a heavy lintel of three stones joggled together,
above a plain semi-circular headed arch enclosing a tympanum with trellis
decoration. To the east of the doorway is some herringbone masonry. Three
similar square headed windows each with two trefoil headed lights to south
side of nave. West porch possibly retains some C14 timberwork with curved
braces to outer entrance forming a pointed arch. C19 west doorway. The
chancel has a restored square-headed window with two trefoil-headed lights
to the north and a similar window possible of C14 to the south side. C19
three-light window to east end. Interior: the western part of the nave has
been partitioned off by the addition of a gallery with a vestry and lobby
and staircase below. The four chamfered posts of the bell turret revealed
in the lobby may be of a medieval date. Two-centred headed chancel arch
possibly of the C13; one plain continuous order. Fittings: late C11 font;
tub-shaped bowl with no ornamentation. Monuments: in chancel: Sara Colles
memorial: wall tablet 1672-3, oval inscription panel with bay-leaf wreathed
surround, flanked by twisted Corinthian columns with entablature, broken
pediment with achievement of arms. Timothy Colles memorial: wall tablet
1669, rectangular inscription panel flanked by twisted Corinthian columns
with entablature and broken pediment with achievement of arms. John Colles
memorial: wall tablet, 1641, with Ionic columns and broken pediment with
achievement of arms. (RCHM, Vol 3, p 64; BoE, p 143).


Listing NGR: SO5858659384

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.