History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kimbolton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2507 / 52°15'2"N

Longitude: -2.6958 / 2°41'44"W

OS Eastings: 352595

OS Northings: 261618

OS Grid: SO525616

Mapcode National: GBR FL.0CYB

Mapcode Global: VH84Q.7P6H

Entry Name: Church of St James

Location: Kimbolton, County of Herefordshire, HR6

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Kimbolton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 11 June 1959

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150503

Source ID: 1082568

Listing Text

KIMBOLTON CP
SO 56 SW
7/13 Church of St James
11.6.59
II*
Parish church. C12 chancel, late C13 nave, south transept and west tower.
Extensive restoration of 1872 when church partly rebuilt; further restoration
of 1911 when roofs were replaced. Sandstone rubble with dressings of the
same material, part tiled, part stone slate roof, shingle to spire. West
tower, nave with south porch and south transept, chancel. West tower: three
stages with C19 broach spire, altered lancet window to north and west with
doorway to south; two-centred arched head with chamfered jambs. The second
stage has a lancet to the west. The bell stage has 2-light C19 openings with
central roundel to north, south and west. Nave, C19 lancets flank C19 gabled
porch, two-centred arched head with label to inner south doorway with moulded
jambs, four single lights to north side of nave, the two eastern ones retaining
trefoiled heads and possibly of the late C13. South transept: two-centred
arch headed window with two pointed lights and a trefoil to south with two
C19 lancets below, two C13 lancets to east side, blocked doorway to the west
with chamfered two-centred head. Chancel: 2-light C19 window to south,
altered C12 semi-circular headed light to north side and similar window to
east end. Interior: C19 tower arch and chancel arch. C19 font. Fittings:
sections of linenfold panelling on north and south walls of chancel, early C16.
(RCHM, Vol 3, p 77).


Listing NGR: SO5259561618

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.