Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7404 / 53°44'25"N
Longitude: -0.1987 / 0°11'55"W
OS Eastings: 518904
OS Northings: 428617
OS Grid: TA189286
Mapcode National: GBR WT15.SX
Mapcode Global: WHHGY.X7KW
Entry Name: Hedon Town Hall
Location: Hedon, East Riding of Yorkshire, HU12
County: East Riding of Yorkshire
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Riding of Yorkshire
Listing Date: 9 January 1954
Last Amended: 22 February 1979
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 166425
Source ID: 1083554
ST AUGUSTINE'S GATE
5266 (East Side)
Hedon Town Hall
(formerly listed as
The Town Hall)
TA 1828 NE 1/16 9.1.54.
1693, or shortly thereafter. Given to Hedon Corporation in that year by Henry
Guy (1633-1710), MP for Hedon, and Secretary to the Treasury in William III's
first government. Stuccoed and slightly altered in early C19. Pitched tile
roof. Coped gables on prominent moulded kneelers. Two storeys. Modillioned
wooden eaves cornice. Rusticated ground floor. Moulded 1st floor string,
taken on grotesque masks at corners, and 'green man' masks in centre bay.
Centre bay breaks forward slightly, and has pediment at eaves level. Three
ranges of sashes with glazing bars, in plain raised surrounds on 1st floor,
and plain blocked surrounds on ground floor. Modern double doors in shouldered
and moulded stone surround, with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice with
shaped modillions: badge of Henry Guy in acanthus surround on keystone, cornice
breaking forward slightly over it.
Interior. Doors with bolection panelling, iron latches, and ornamental iron
hinges. Two in Council Chamber with shouldered architraves, pulvinated friezes
and triangular pediments. Council seats have bolection panelled back and balustrade
with vase-shaped balusters. Staircase with vase-shaped balusters on both sides:
ball finials to newels: closed string with pulvinated frieze. Iron grilles
to former lock-up on ground floor: this was in use until 1898, when the Police
Station was built in the Market Place.
Listing NGR: TA1890228627
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings