This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2803 / 51°16'49"N
Longitude: 1.0817 / 1°4'54"E
OS Eastings: 615015
OS Northings: 157977
OS Grid: TR150579
Mapcode National: GBR TY2.Q97
Mapcode Global: VHLGM.P2QT
Entry Name: The Archbishop's Palace or the Old Palace
Listing Date: 3 May 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085066
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170536
Location: Canterbury, Kent, CT1
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
944 THE CATHEDRAL PRECINCTS
The Archbishop's Palace
or the Old Palace
TR 1557 NW 5/2
TR 1457 NE 4/2 3.5.67.
Rebuilt in 1896 by W D Caroe, but the south wing contains some traces of
old work in the buttresses and a C14 2 light trefoil-headed window. The C16
gateway in the Borough also remains, though it is now blocked.
The building is curved. 2 to 3 storeys flint and ashlar. Tiled roof with
3 dormers on right elevation and 3 mullioned and transomed windows with
hood moulding. Buttresses. The left side elevation has 3 gables with finials
and 3 mullioned windows. The central entrance porch has an archiepiscopal
cartouche and 2 twisted columns. It incorporates the West end of the undercroft
of the monastic refectory.
Listing NGR: TR1498757995
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings