This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0173 / 51°1'2"N
Longitude: 0.5514 / 0°33'5"E
OS Eastings: 579056
OS Northings: 127309
OS Grid: TQ790273
Mapcode National: GBR PVC.27F
Mapcode Global: FRA D61F.8NM
Entry Name: Church of St Nicholas
Listing Date: 20 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085172
English Heritage Legacy ID: 170288
Location: Sandhurst, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN18
District: Tunbridge Wells
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TQ72NE CHURCH ROAD
1350-0/5/179 CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
Parish church. Nave and chancel C13 and C14, aisles and west
tower C14, heavily restored and chancel largely rebuilt by
R.C. Carpenter in 1875. Built of sandstone with tiled roof.
Nave, chancel, west tower, north and south aisles with north
chantry chapel, north porch and C19 south porch. C14 west
tower in 3 stages with renewed reticulated window to 1st stage
and tall shallow angled buttress, louvred lancets to bell
stage and arched doorcase with hood moulding. Top replaced in
C16 brickwork. North and South aisles, the south aisle having
3 restored triple cinque foiled light windows with Kentish
tracery. Plinth. Nave has clerestorey with lancets. C19 north
porch, wooden on sandstone base with tiled roof. Interior:
West tower opens by arches to North and South into lean to
aisles and has semi-octagonal responds with sunk quadrant. C14
sandstone font with Decorated tracery pattern on each face.
Nave of 4 bays with C14 arcade with octagonal piers of 2
dates, except for easternmost, piers rebuilt in C19.
Clerestorey lancets are probably C13. North aisle has
roll-moulded roof and rood stairs. Chantry Chapel or
Betherynden Chapel built c.1450 by Sir Richard Betherynden of
Old Place. South aisle has in East window stained glass
depicting St Michael of c.1450, reset from the Chantry Chapel.
South window has remains of C15 glass, also from the Chantry
Chapel, depicting St George, a priest and an abbess. Piscina
between them and stoup on one side of South door. 4 bay
chancel has C14 aumbry but was heavily restored by R.C.
Carpenter. C19 barrel vaulted ceiling. C18 wall tablet to
members of Hodson family, swansneck pediment with urn in
center and console brackets. 3 bells date from the C17, the
oldest (No. 5) a C15 one is no longer used. Titus Oates began
his clerical career here as an assistant curate.
(West Kent and the Weald).
Listing NGR: TQ7905427314
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings