This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.279 / 51°16'44"N
Longitude: 1.1849 / 1°11'5"E
OS Eastings: 622215
OS Northings: 158140
OS Grid: TR222581
Mapcode National: GBR VZK.LF0
Mapcode Global: VHLGP.H37T
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 30 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1085626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171250
Location: Ickham and Well, Canterbury, Kent, CT3
Parish: Ickham and Well
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 ICKHAM AND WELL THE STREET
Church of St John
TR 2258 36/425 30.1.67
This church originally belonged to Christ Church Priory. Early English with
transepts added in second quarter of C14. Built of flint. Cruciform building
with aisles to the nave, south porch and west tower with broached shingled
spire. Norman west doorway with embattled moulding billet hood and scalloped
capitals. The nave, aisles and tower are late C12, the chancel is C13, the
transepts are C14, the south porch is C19. The whole building was restored
in 1901. The north transept belonged to the owners of Lee Priory and has a
C14 effigy of William Heghtresbury. The south transept belonged to the owners
of the Baye estate and contains the C14 tomb of Sir Thomas de Baa. Wall monuments.
Double piscina. The churchyard contains some C18 headstones with skull, urn
or cherub motifs.
Listing NGR: TR2221358143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings