Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2308 / 51°13'50"N
Longitude: 1.1323 / 1°7'56"E
OS Eastings: 618775
OS Northings: 152617
OS Grid: TR187526
Mapcode National: GBR TYQ.R38
Mapcode Global: VHLGV.KBYB
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Location: Bishopsbourne, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 30 January 1967
Last Amended: 14 March 1980
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171007
Source ID: 1085693
5273 BISHOPSBOURNE THE STREET
Church of St Mary
(formerly listed under
TR 1852 21/152 30.1.67
Knapped flint with tile roof, weathervane to tower. Chancel with north and
south chapels (now the vestry and the family pew of Bourne Park respectively)
and nave with aisles. The chancel, nave and aisles are C13, the north and
south chapels and the tower C15. C15 choir stalls.
The Reverend Richard Hooker, author of 'Of the Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity'
and rector of Bishopsbourne from 1595-1600 is buried and has a memorial here.
Attractive early C19 memorial plaque to John McDivitt, 1839. Stained glass
some original glass in the chancel, also glass by Burne-Jones, and of the mid
C16. Boarded wagon roofs by Scott, 1871. Carved tombstones in churchyard
with cherubs and skulls.
Listing NGR: TR1877952615
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings