Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4521 / 51°27'7"N
Longitude: 0.289 / 0°17'20"E
OS Eastings: 559143
OS Northings: 175055
OS Grid: TQ591750
Mapcode National: GBR X5.CHP
Mapcode Global: VHHNV.YRNP
Entry Name: Ingress Abbey
Location: Swanscombe and Greenhithe, Dartford, Kent, DA9
Parish: Swanscombe and Greenhithe
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Listing Date: 2 October 1970
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 172722
Source ID: 1085779
5274 SWANSCOMBE AND GREENHITHE THE AVENUE
TQ 57 NE 1/86 2.10.70
This is probably the fifth house on the site, the manor having formerly belonged
to Dartford Priory and some notable families. Built in 1833 for Alderman James
Harmer in Tudor Gothic style. Architect Charles Moreing. Supposed to have been
constructed of stone from Old London Bridge. Ashlar with a slate roof. Two storeys
and attics in gables. Clustered chimney stacks. The plan of the house is 3 sides
of a square with 5 windows to each front. The principal front faces the river.
It is flanked by projecting octagonal buttresses carried up high above the elevation
and topped by ogee caps. In the centre is a 3 storey projecting square tower
flanked by similar buttresses with a 3-light oriel window on the first floor.
At each end of the front is a gable, the east one projecting, with finials and
similar buttresses and a 2 storey bay window of 4-lights with enrichment between
the floors and a castellated parapet over. Similar parapet between the gables
and the tower. Casement windows. The west front has 3 gables, of which the centre
one has an extra-tall finial carried up to end in a heraldic beast. The whole
front and the central window bay, which projects, are flanked by similar buttresses
to these of the north front. The central window bay projects with buttresses
and a 2 storey bay window of 6-lights similar to those of the north front. Central
doorcase has portcullis and rose in the spandrels. The west elevation has wooden
window shutters to top windows. Victorian conservatory at rear. Eliza Cook the
poetess lived here with James Harmer and wrote her most famous poems "The Old
Armchair" and "O, the green banks may fade" here. Interior contains dining room
with plastered ceiling walls and marble fireplace and north entrance wall of
1835 with fretted woodwork and fireplace with Atlantes.
Listing NGR: TQ5879975165
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings