History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Thorndikes and Former Stable and Coach House Adjoining

A Grade II Listed Building in Rochester West, Medway

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3853 / 51°23'6"N

Longitude: 0.4998 / 0°29'59"E

OS Eastings: 574043

OS Northings: 168100

OS Grid: TQ740681

Mapcode National: GBR PPV.160

Mapcode Global: VHJLT.MF3X

Entry Name: Thorndikes and Former Stable and Coach House Adjoining

Listing Date: 19 February 1970

Last Amended: 2 December 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086441

English Heritage Legacy ID: 173171

Location: Medway, ME1

County: Medway

Locality: Rochester West

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent

Church of England Parish: Rochester St Peter Parish Centre

Church of England Diocese: Rochester

Listing Text

ROCHESTER ST MARGARET'S STREET
TQ 7468 SW
9/238 No 60 (Thorndikes)
and former stable
and coach-house
adjoining
(formerly listed
as The Vicarage and
Stable
19-2-70 adjoining)
GV II
House, formerly the Rectory to St Margaret's. 1781 (possibly
incorporating earlier work) with alterations of 1870. Brick
(with some stone dressings); Kent tile hipped and gable-end
roofs. Double depth, forming two separately roofed parallel
ranges with end stacks, a side wing, and a stable and carriage
house facing on to the street. Front: asymmetrical range; 2
dormers with Yorkshire sashes. Left-of-centre doorway (surround
with pilasters, moulded canopy on shaped brackets, and panelled
door); to the right a storeyed canted Victorian wing, with
sandstone dressings, dentilled cornice and pierced parapet,
string course between the storeys, rubbed brick elliptical window
arches and 2:4:2 horned sashes. To the left, 2 window bays
remain of a regular Georgian front, with sash windows in flush
frames (glazing bars to 1st storey only), and rubbed brick flat
arches. Projecting forward and to either side are the single-
storey stable and coachhouse each with hipped roof and round-
headed arched doorway (that to the right blocked). Side wing
with sashes. Rear: regular 4-window range. 12-pane sashes under
rubbed brick flat arches, and a C20 left-of-centre glazed door.
The name of the house commemorates the fact that Dame Sybil
Thorndike spent much of her childhood here when her father was
Rector of St Margaret's.


Listing NGR: TQ7404368100

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.