History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Bees School Buildings Around Quadrangle to South West

A Grade II Listed Building in St. Bees, Cumbria

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.4944 / 54°29'39"N

Longitude: -3.5925 / 3°35'32"W

OS Eastings: 296953

OS Northings: 512172

OS Grid: NX969121

Mapcode National: GBR 3JCG.1N

Mapcode Global: WH5ZF.S9HC

Entry Name: St Bees School Buildings Around Quadrangle to South West

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1086678

English Heritage Legacy ID: 76160

Location: St. Bees, Copeland, Cumbria, CA27

County: Cumbria

District: Copeland

Parish: St. Bees

Locality: St Bees

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: St Bees

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Listing Text

NX 91 SE (INSET) ST BEES B5345 (East side)
St Bees

8/62 St Bees School;
buildings around
9.3.67 quadrangle to
south-west

G.V. II


Public School, founded 1587 by Edmund Grindal, Archbishop of Canterbury.
Buildings form 3 sides of quadrangle. North range C16 with additions of c1820;
other ranges built 1842. North range probably 1st school building, built from
material salvaged from the Abbots' house. Sandstone blocks on chamfered
plinth. Graduated slate roof with stone copings and kneelers; corniced stone
octagonal end chimney. Originally 2 storeys; storey added when roof replaced
c1820. 9 bays. Seven 3-light and one (C20?) 2-light mullioned windows, with
glazing bars in architraves, under continuous hoodmould to ground floor; 6th bay
from left, now blank, original door? 4 similar windows to each floor above;
hoodmoulds with labels to 1st floor. 1842 ranges ashlar on plinth. Graduated
slate roofs with stone copings and blocking courses; corniced stone octagonal
mid and end chimneys. Symmetrical, 5 bays. Central castellated 4-stage clock
tower, over 4-centred entrance arch, has octagonal corner turrets. Two 2-storey
bays to either side with 'aisle' to ground floor. 2-storey, 6-bay south range
has window over 'aisle' to left of 4-centred door with octagonal turrets on
either side; 3 bays to right. All windows paired sashes with glazing bars in
architraves; all windows (except to aisles) and doors have hoodmoulds with
labels.


Listing NGR: NX9695312172

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.