This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8456 / 54°50'44"N
Longitude: -2.7012 / 2°42'4"W
OS Eastings: 355069
OS Northings: 550316
OS Grid: NY550503
Mapcode National: GBR 9DKD.ZR
Mapcode Global: WH80D.GGYM
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087579
English Heritage Legacy ID: 78012
Location: Cumrew, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA8
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Cumrew St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY 55 SE CUMREW CUMREW
10/21 Church of St Mary
Church. Dated 1890 over entrance, on medieval site, by George Dale Oliver.
Rock faced red sandstone with ashlar dressings and angle buttresses; graduated
green slate roof with coped gables and decorative ridge tiles. 3-storey north-
west tower/porch; 3-bay nave; single-bay chancel with north vestry. Square
tower has plank doors with trefoil arch in pointed moulded recess, pointed hood
mould. Pointed and square lancet windows with louvred bell openings; corbelled
and battlemented parapet; projecting stair turret in angle between nave and
tower. Nave has 2-light lancet windows with trefoil heads; 4-light west window
with trefoil heads and plate tracery. Chancel has similar 2-light windows and
east window similar to west window; external wall plaque from the original
church, to members of the Gill family 1767-1871. Interior has open timber roof
to nave and chancel. Furnishings and fittings all early C20. Stained glass in
east and 3 other windows is of 1890 and unsigned. Effigy grave slab beside
pulpit, thought to be Jeanne, wife of William Dacre, early C14. Pulpit and font
are inscribed and dated 1890. Pre-reformation inscribed bell; one of 1750 and
other bell is dated 1901 by inscribed brass plaque on church wall.
Listing NGR: NY5506950316
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings