This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8839 / 54°53'1"N
Longitude: -2.8298 / 2°49'47"W
OS Eastings: 346864
OS Northings: 554660
OS Grid: NY468546
Mapcode National: GBR 8CPZ.52
Mapcode Global: WH804.HHQT
Entry Name: Corby Bridge
Listing Date: 1 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1087690
English Heritage Legacy ID: 77758
Location: Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA4
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Wetheral Holy Trinity and St Constantine
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
14/177 Corby Bridge
Corby Bridge, so named on O.S. maps, but locally known as Wetheral Viaduct.
Begun 1830, completed 1834, by Francis Giles and built by William S. Denton for
the Newcastle & Carlisle Railway Company. Entirely of red sandstone: facing
stones from Newbiggin Quarry near Carlisle and rubble infill from Wetheral and
Corby Beck Quarries. Cast iron footbridge with wooden plank walkway, added at
parapet level to the north face in 1851: P. Tate engineer and C.D. Richardson,
contractor. 2 piers in river bed and 2 on either bank, giving 5 semicircular
arches of 27 metre spans, formed of large blocks of dressed stone with
channelled joints and voussoirs: parapet of 1½ metres height, giving a total
height from the summer level of the river of 33 metres: width to give double
track and a total length of 280 metres. A major and early railway viaduct,
forming an important landscape feature in an area of outstanding natural
beauty. Includes a footbridge with cast inscribed plate at the east end:
foundation stones built into either side of the parapet at the west end and
centrally placed stone inscribed with the engineer and builder: N.E.R. gas lamp
bracket at west end (lamp missing) and central bracket (lamp missing) to light
footbridge: also railings on parapet of south side.
Listing NGR: NY4686454660
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings