History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Weston Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weston upon Trent, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8512 / 52°51'4"N

Longitude: -1.4026 / 1°24'9"W

OS Eastings: 440326

OS Northings: 328350

OS Grid: SK403283

Mapcode National: GBR 7H8.66V

Mapcode Global: WHDH7.FLBL

Entry Name: Weston Hall

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Last Amended: 11 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088352

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83248

Location: Weston upon Trent, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE72

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Weston upon Trent

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Weston-on-Trent St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Shardlow

Listing Text

SK 42 NW PARISH OF WESTON-UPON-TRENT MAIN STREET
4/261 (west side)
2.9.52 Weston Hall (formerly
listed as Hall
Farmhouse)
II*
Large, unfinished, country house. Early C17 with minor later
alterations. Built for the Roper family. Red brick with stone
dressings, moulded stone stringcourses to each floor and above
attic windows, flush ashlar quoins, and ashlar basement. Slate
roofs with moulded stone copings to gables on plain kneelers and
large quoined external brick side wall stacks. Three storeys
with attics and basement. Probably intended to be H-plan but
only one side wing and single bay of central wing erected.
North facade of five bays, with central gabled staircase tower
with 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion windows plus small
pane casements, to each floor. To east, the basement has a C20
door and a blocked 2-light recessed and chamfered mullion
window. Ground floor has two 3-light C20 cross timber casement
windows in original recessed and chamfered surrounds. Above two
2-light recessed and chamfered mullioned and transomed windows
with casements and above again one similar window to east. To
west side of staircase there are later brick additions to
basement and first floor, to east side. Western ground floor
window has a door inserted below the transom. Above, first
floor has similar 2-light windows as those to east and above
there are two similar blocked windows. Gable walls have similar
openings, that to west with all original openings complete, ie:
with recessed and chamfered 2-light mullion and transomed
windows to each floor and a 2-light recessed and chamfered
mullion window in the attic. East gable wall has had the
mullions and transoms to ground and first floor windows removed
and replaced by 3-light timber cross casement windows. South
elevation has jagged brick edges to central wing with a blank
internal brick wall facing the exterior. To either side it has
a similar arrangements of windows to those on the gable walls.
In the re-entrant angle to west there is a small projecting part
with circular stone windows to each floor. Interior has a full
height open well staircase with four full height newels and
moulded handrail with single stud to centre or wattle and daub
panels. Eastern ground floor room has C17 panelling and a large
chamfered stone fireplace with panelled overmantle. Adjoining
room to west has the remains of similar panelling. Internal
cross walls are all timber framed. Second floor and attics are
unused and have no plaster on the walls. Second floor rooms
have large chamfered stone fireplaces and stone doorcases. The
roof has large double purlin strut trusses. Basement has large
chamfered ceiling beams and houses the original kitchen, which
has a massive chamfered stone fireplace. The house was probably
built c1633 when the manor was granted to Anthony Roper by James
I. It is said the Ropers became impoverished before building
had gone very far and the unfinished structure was sold in 1649.
The house was reputedly used as a barracks for the soldiers when
Civil War fighting broke out in Weston in 1644.
THe house was reputedly used as a barracks for the soldiers when
Civil War fighting broke out in Weston in 1644.


Listing NGR: SK4032628350

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.