History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kings Newton Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Melbourne, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.832 / 52°49'55"N

Longitude: -1.4254 / 1°25'31"W

OS Eastings: 438810

OS Northings: 326208

OS Grid: SK388262

Mapcode National: GBR 6G3.DGK

Mapcode Global: WHDHF.22JR

Entry Name: Kings Newton Hall

Listing Date: 2 September 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1088377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 83112

Location: Melbourne, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE73

County: Derbyshire

District: South Derbyshire

Civil Parish: Melbourne

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Melbourne St Michael

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Melbourne

Listing Text

SK 32 NE PARISH OF MELBOURNE MAIN STREET, KINGS
3/128 NEWTON
2.9.52 (North Side)
Kings Newton Hall
GV II
Small country house. Early C17, and restored in 1900 after a
fire in 1859, with minor additions. Rubble stone with ashlar
dressings and quoins, plus deep chamfered plinth and moulded
first floor stringcourse. Graduated slate roof with large brick
ridge stack on stone base and pairs of large external stacks to
west and east elevations, with diamond set brick pots to west
and solid brick pots to east. Two storeys plus attics and
H-plan. Street elevation has gabled bays to either side of a
wide central bay. This has a moulded four-centred arch set in a
flat headed surround, with a similar door in porch behind. To
either side there are flanking single light windows, and on the
side walls to the central bay and to centre of the gabled bays
there are cross windows. Similar arrangement of windows above,
with dripmoulds to the outer windows and transomes in the single
light windows. Above the door to centre there is another cross
window and to either side there are hopper heads dated 1560.
Western window facing into the centre has been blocked up with
stone rubble. Above again the gabled bays each have a 2-light
mullion window with dripmould and centre bay has two hipped
dormers with 2-light casements to centre and similar 3-light
ones to side walls. West elevation has a gabled central bay
with a large 3-light triple transomed staircase window with
dripmould and 2-light mullioned window above, flanked to either
side by pairs of cross windows to ground and first floors, one
on either side of the large external stacks. East elevation is
similar except for a gabled c1910 addition to south. All
windows have recessed and cyma reversa mouldings and most are
1910 copies of the earlier windows. Interior was completely
renewed in 1910, with an C18 style staircase, stone four-centred
arched fireplaces and stone four-centred arched doorcases.
Former seat of the Hardinge family. Interior not inspected.


Listing NGR: SK3881026208

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.