This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6172 / 51°37'1"N
Longitude: -2.3354 / 2°20'7"W
OS Eastings: 376873
OS Northings: 190985
OS Grid: ST768909
Mapcode National: GBR 0MM.JCY
Mapcode Global: VH95G.GMQ3
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 17 September 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1090620
English Heritage Legacy ID: 132168
Location: Alderley, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL12
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Alderley St Kenelm
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
ST 79 SE ALDERLEY ALDERLEY VILLAGE
8/24 The Grange
Small country house. Core of 1608 (datestone on south wall) with
west front of c1751 and additional side wings of c1810. Ashlar on
plinth with rusticated and chamfered alternating quoins, heavy
moulded stone cornice with returns and tall parapet wall with 4
inset fielded panels. Cotswold stone slate roof, ashlar stacks
with moulded cornices. Large U-shape range, 2 storeys and attic.
Classical symmetrical west front. 5 bays, 2/1/2, with central wide
bay breaking forward slightly with additional quoins and pediment
reaching to top of parapet. This bay has single Palladian window
with Gibbs surround. Remaining windows to side bays all 12-pane
sashes with moulded stone architraves. Central projecting
pedimented porch with slate roof, fluted Roman Doric pilasters,
triglyph and rosette frieze with guttae, moulded cornice. Large 6-
panel door with fielded panels, 2 fixed 6-light side windows.
Sashes flanking are smaller than rest of facade and have plain
stone architraves. Plat band between floors. Additional single
storey side wings with one real 12-pane sash in plain reveal and
one painted false one at each end. 3 hipped dormers to attic.
South wall (with datestone) has very wide rounded arch cutting into
1st floor level, and 4 windows, 9-pane sashes with moulded stone
architraves. Stonework now coursed and dressed but south east
corner has alternating quoins as front and cornerpiece only of
cornice. Inner faces of U-plan have 2 and 3-light stone mullion
Interior: Very fine entrance hall with timber open well stair with
3 turned and twisted balusters to each tread, ramped and wreathed
handrail and panelled dado. Much original joinery, fireplaces etc.
(David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The
Listing NGR: ST7687390985
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings