History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Poplar Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Shurdington, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8658 / 51°51'56"N

Longitude: -2.1139 / 2°6'49"W

OS Eastings: 392254

OS Northings: 218583

OS Grid: SO922185

Mapcode National: GBR 2MH.SHC

Mapcode Global: VH94F.9CTJ

Entry Name: Poplar Farmhouse

Listing Date: 4 July 1960

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1091719

English Heritage Legacy ID: 135085

Location: Shurdington, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, GL51

County: Gloucestershire

District: Tewkesbury

Civil Parish: Shurdington

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Shurdington St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Little Witcombe

Listing Text

SHURDINGTON A46
SO 91 NW (east side)

4/134 Poplar Farmhouse

4.7.60
II

Large farmhouse, uninhabited and in state of dereliction at time of
resurvey - February 1987. Dated and initialled 'L.A. Gwinneth
1661' on a sundial at the right gable end, extended late C18-early
C19. Coursed squared and dressed limestone now mostly pebble-
dashed. Later extension brick with rendered front. Red tile
roof with brick stacks. Rectangular plan with later extension to
the left gable end and rear left. Projecting earth closet at the
right gable end, not of special interest. Two storeys and attic.
Twin-gabled entrance front facing the main road with later
extension to the left. Two 3-light C19 casements and a canted 4-
light C19 casement to the ground floor; two 3-light canted oriel
windows on projecting moulded brackets with simple chip-carved
decoration to the first floor; 2 small 3-light windows with some
diamond-leaded panes to the attic. Two 3-light casements one with
leaded panes to the extension. Projecting open-sided 2-storey
porch at the centre of the early range. Wooden bench seats with
tall straight plank backs inserted on the ground floor; early
studded plank door with decorative hinges within porch; canted 3-
light window supported on a moulded bracket with a small carved
boss towards the bottom. Right gable end: 3-light ovolo-moulded
stone-mullioned casement to the ground floor; continuous dripmould
above; 2-light window with stopped hood above; square slab
sundial with moulded hood and inscription 'L.A.= GWINNETH 1661' at
the top below the window; single-light window with ovolo-moulded
surround and hood to the attic. Two large chimney gables and two
2-light ovolo-moulded stone-mullioned casements at the rear where a
gabled 2-storey brick porch-like projection conceals an early plank
door with fleur-de-lys ended hinges each bearing the date '1661'
within a round-headed surround with keystone and imposts.
Segmental-headed 2-light casements to the brick extension to the
right. Ceramic finials to the forward-facing gables of the early
range. Interior not accessible but probably contains many orignal
features.


Listing NGR: SO9225418583

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.