Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0195 / 52°1'10"N
Longitude: -1.8948 / 1°53'41"W
OS Eastings: 407318
OS Northings: 235676
OS Grid: SP073356
Mapcode National: GBR 3MC.7T1
Mapcode Global: VHB17.3HNQ
Entry Name: Potters Farmhouse
Location: Buckland, Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire, WR12
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Listing Date: 4 July 1960
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 134797
Source ID: 1091846
BUCKLAND LAVERTON VILLAGE
10/16 Potters Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Traces of earlier work, C17, C18, C19. Roughly
squared, coursed stone, less well squared in later rebuild; stone
slate roof. Two-room main wing, 1 1/2 storeys, 3-room cross wing, 2 1/2
storeys, with lean-to to part. Entrance front, facing farm
buildings: windows plain chamfered, stone mullioned with
hoodmoulds generally. Two 2-light windows, doorway with Tudor
arch, sunk spandrels, deep stone lintel, hoodmould. To left
plinth, 3-light window; wall sets forward for gable, boarded door
up 2 stone steps, similar surround; 3-light window to left,
further 3-light without hoodmould in lean-to. Above, 2 gabled
dormers, 3-light windows, right-hand hollow chamfer; parapet
gables with cross-gablet apices: between, below eaves, single-
light stair window. Four-light window in cross wing, 2-light over
to attics. Parapet gable right end, ashlar chimney on ridge,
moulded caps; similar chimney to left first door, behind ridge.
Parapet gable to cross wing, cross-gablet apex; gable on left
return above lean-to with twin-flue chimney, moulded cap.
Internally: main wing, former cross passage, hall to left, stone
doorway surround, hollow chamfer to window to back; wide
fireplace opening, Tudor arch, stone lintel, double ovolo jambs,
small salt cupboard to left. Spiral stair to right entrance.
Scratch-moulding panelling to cross wing wall; ceiling quartered
by timber beams, heavy chamfer: moulded plaster cornice. Parlour
to left, timber-framed internal walls, double-boarded outer door;
stone fireplace surround dated 1582 said to have been moved from
elsewhere, under heavy timber lintel. Wide chamfer to main ceiling
beam; exposed chamfered joists. Similar chamfering to joists and
beams in unheated central service room and room beyond, now
kitchen. Stairs down to brick-vaulted cellar on left, part above
ground, roof over vault. Appears to have had higher roof
originally. C17 stone fireplace in room over main parlour. Queen-
strut trusses to cross wings; floor to front attic raised to
improve headroom in bedroom below (probably C19). Main wing
reroofed in C19, but retains top of collar and king-strut truss
against chimney, wattle and daub infill, smoke blackened on one
side. This could be remains of earlier smoke bay. Right end main
wing rebuilt, probably C18; at least part of lean-to is original,
front wall being continuation of gable of cross wing (not as E.
(D. Verey, Gloucestershire, The Cotswolds, 1970; W.G. Davie & E.G.
Dawber, Old Cottages & Farmhouses in the Cotswold District, 1904;
E. Mercer, English Vernacular Houses, 1975)
Listing NGR: SP0731835676
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings