This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.909 / 50°54'32"N
Longitude: -1.4099 / 1°24'35"W
OS Eastings: 441582
OS Northings: 112338
OS Grid: SU415123
Mapcode National: GBR RPV.YV
Mapcode Global: FRA 76YP.SMR
Entry Name: Conduit House
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1092037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135795
Location: Southampton, SO15
County: City of Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. COMMERCIAL ROAD
SU 4112 1/102 14.7.53
Early C14 conduit house which collected water from wells and springs for the
Southampton public water supply. This was originally collected by the Franciscan
Friars circa 1290 and the water system was transferred to the town council
in 1420. It is one of the earliest known examples of municipally controlled
water supply on this scale. One storey stone building with stone pitched
roof. One blocked slit window. Doorcase with shouldered lintel. Scheduled
as an ancient monument.
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings