This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0285 / 51°1'42"N
Longitude: -1.3305 / 1°19'49"W
OS Eastings: 447044
OS Northings: 125668
OS Grid: SU470256
Mapcode National: GBR 86F.DFH
Mapcode Global: FRA 863D.FGR
Entry Name: The Manor House
Listing Date: 5 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1095830
English Heritage Legacy ID: 145779
Location: Compton and Shawford, Winchester, Hampshire, SO21
Civil Parish: Compton and Shawford
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Compton All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 42 NE COMPTON PLACE LANE
5/29 The Manor House
5/12/55 (formerly listed under
Manor House. Medieval origins, C17 building with late C18 refronting and
wing. Timber-frame core, brick,with some stone dressings. 2 storeys,
with 3 bay timber-frame building end on to road with 2 bay mid-C17 addition
added to right at far end and C18 wing added to front of this with the front
of this wing and the road end bay of the earliest part refronted late C18.
Front 2 storey 3 bay with to left projecting wing. Doorway in centre of
3 bays, with 8-panel door and semi-circular fanlight with radiating glazing
bars in parallel reveal. Open Doric porch with fluted columns and full
cornice under flat hood. 5 12-pane sashes, those on ground floor larger.
Parapet with stone coping and flat roofed dormers above left 2 bays. Roof
hipped to right. Left wing projects 1½ bays with on right side early C19
4-panel door with semi-circular fanlight in corner and 2 12-pane sashes, one
above the other in centre. End of wing has C19 canted bay window, with
reused 12-pane sash in centre and 12-pane sash above. Added parapeted
front right side of wing. Roof is half-hipped. Inside late C18 interior
with older features such as behind front door in C17 range wide fireplace
with carved timber fire-surround dated 1652 with initials of Goldfinch
family, who lived there.
Listing NGR: SU4704725669
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings