This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.8226 / 52°49'21"N
Longitude: -1.6009 / 1°36'3"W
OS Eastings: 426989
OS Northings: 325079
OS Grid: SK269250
Mapcode National: GBR 5DQ.42D
Mapcode Global: WHCG6.C9WZ
Entry Name: Bladon Castle
Listing Date: 19 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1096466
English Heritage Legacy ID: 82869
Location: Newton Solney, South Derbyshire, Derbyshire, DE15
District: South Derbyshire
Parish: Newton Solney
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Newton Solney St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Derby
PARISH OF NEWTON SOLNEY NEWTON ROAD
SK 22 NE
1/63 (East Side)
19-1-67 Bladon Castle
Folly, partly converted into a house and now partly ruinous.
Built as a folly 1795 by Jeffrey Wyattville for Abraham Hoskins,
a solicitor of Burton-on-Trent. Half converted into a house
1801-2. Red brick. Irregular plan and elevations representing
a picturesque castellated outline, but essentially symmetrical.
Eleven bay west elevation. Three bay centre, divided by
buttress strips. Full height canted bay window with 1-3-1
lights. Flanked by two tiers of lancet windows, one blocked,
and with two small blind lancets above again. Three bays to
left have taller buttressed centre bay. Two tiers of blind
gothic windows. Similar arrangement of three bays to right, but
with gothick glazing bar sashes and some later fenestration.
Taller square towers at each end with two tiers of blind gothic
windows. North elevation of five symmetrical bays. Centre bay
as a gate tower with polygonal turrets rising well above the
wings. Central pointed carriage arch. The end bays are set
forward like square towers. Three tiers of blind lancets, the
top ones little more than arches. Most of the north wall and
the southern four bays of the west wall are only a facade.
Castellated wall to south west enclosing the 'motte'.
Castellated walled enclosure attached to north west, with a
circular turret. The main block has an irregular east elevation
with a five bay open Tudor arcade.
Listing NGR: SK2698925079
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings