History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Tidwell Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in East Budleigh, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.6417 / 50°38'30"N

Longitude: -3.3309 / 3°19'51"W

OS Eastings: 305985

OS Northings: 83295

OS Grid: SY059832

Mapcode National: GBR P6.P61Y

Mapcode Global: FRA 37XC.VHQ

Entry Name: Tidwell Manor

Location: East Budleigh, East Devon, Devon, EX9

County: Devon

District: East Devon

Parish: East Budleigh

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Listing Date: 11 November 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 86254

Source ID: 1097565

Listing Text

EAST BUDLEIGH
SY 08 SE
6/54 Tidwell Manor
-
11.11.52
GV II*
Large house. Medieval manor but house completely rebuilt probably on new site in
1725 according to dated rainwater heads, late C19 service outshots to rear. Flemish
bond brick; brick stacks with original chimney shafts and C19 chimney pots; slate
roof.
Tall double depth plan house with parallel roofs facing south-east. At the front
there is a large central entrance hall flanked by rooms either side. Behind the
entrance hall there is a large central stairwell but even so the rear end rooms are
larger than the front ones. Front and back rooms have end stacks and the entrance
lobby has an axial stack each end, that on the left end serves fireplaces on the
upper floors. The right rear room was the kitchen and there is a service corridor
and stair between it and the front room. C19 service outshots to rear. Main block
is 3 storeys and there is a basement under.
Symmetrical 1:3:1 window front comprising C19 12-pane sashes to ground and first
floors and contemporary 9-pane (3/6) sashes to the second floor. All the windows
have flat skewback arches of gauged rubbed brick over and most still have moulded
limestone sills. Large central doorway on top of flight of limestone steps. The
doorframe and overlight are original; solid timber with a broad bead-moulded
surround and probably applied architrave. The overlight has glazing bars. The
part-glazed door and flat hood on shaped brackets are C19. The central 3-window
section is broken forward very slightly. The corners of this and the end corners
have brick imitation quoins and there is a plat band at eaves level, and, above
this, a parapet with limestone coping. The parallel roofs have hipped ends and the
chimney shafts have stringcourses a short distance below the soffit-moulded coping.
The left (south-west facing) end wall has a 2-window front between the stacks and a
third window ground floor left. It is built in the same style and has C19 18-pane
sashes to the ground floor and 12-pane sashes above, those on the second floor
larger than those on the first. The basement here also has 2 windows and a doorway
at the right end with low segmental arch over. The drainpipes at either end have
lead rainwater heads dated 1725 with shaped tops enriched with foliage. The right
(north-eastern) end wall has a stepped 2-window front between the stacks, possibly
C18 18-pane sashes with broad glazing bars to ground and first floors and
replacement 12-pane sashes to the second floor. The secondary doorway ground floor
left (towards the front) may also be original. The rear elevation has a symmetrical
5-window front comprising ground floor 12-pane sashes, first floor 18-pane sashes
(some possibly original with broad glazing bars) and second floor probably C20
replacement horned 12-pane sashes. Central first floor window is large round-headed
stair window with rubbed brick arch, soffit-moulded imposts and shaped key. It is
fixed pane with radial glazing bars at the top. C20 cast iron fire escape on right
end.
Interior contains some good original detail particularly on the ground floor. Both
front end rooms are lined with original panelling in 2 heights and the left room has
a box cornice with dentil frieze. All the chimneypieces have been replaced. On the
chimney breast in the entrance hall there is a fine piece of early C17 carved oak
comprising the arms of the Arscott family on a panel within a round-headed arch
enriched with acanthus leaves, the whole flanked by Caryatids which hold cartouches
containing human heads. This was presumably salvaged from a chimneypiece in the
earlier manor house. The ceiling here is original with bolection moulded ribs. The
stairwell contains the original open well stair rising in 3 broad flights. It is
open string with shaped brackets, square newel posts, 3 balusters per tread (the
centre one twisted and the others turned and all with blocks), moulded flat handrail
and it is lined with fielded panel wainscotting. The ceiling above is a good
example of ornamental plasterwork of the period. The coved cornice is enriched as a
frieze of acanthus leaves and the ceiling has geometric panels defined by bolection
ribs around a central quatrefoil-shaped panels and there is a moulded plaster
griffin-like creature sejant. The service stair is more old-fashioned in style than
the main one; it is a tight dogleg stair with a closed string, square newel posts,
turned balusters, and a moulded flat handrail. Some of the rooms have original
plaster cornices and cellar has a brick barrel vault. Some of the joinery detail is
original but most was renewed in the C19. Roof not inspected.
Tidwell Manor is attractively sited in a valley situation with contemporary stables
(q.v.) alongside. It is typically tall for a grand house of this period. The site
of the original manor is thought to be on the other side of the road from the
present house. In 1448 Tidwell was granted licence for a chapel. It was the house
of the Seyntclere Family in the C16, and the Arscot family from 1620 onwards.
Source: Devon SMR.


Listing NGR: SY0598583295

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.