History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Canon Frome, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0884 / 52°5'18"N

Longitude: -2.5197 / 2°31'10"W

OS Eastings: 364490

OS Northings: 243467

OS Grid: SO644434

Mapcode National: GBR FV.BMLN

Mapcode Global: VH85L.8RTW

Entry Name: Church of St James

Location: Canon Frome, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Canon Frome

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153080

Source ID: 1098907

Listing Text

CANON FROME CP CANON FROME
SO 64 SW

5/115 Church of St James

6.3.67

GV II


Parish church. West tower 1680, remainder rebuilt 1860 by G F Bodley.
Red brick in English bond to west tower with sandstone plinth and ashlar
dressings, dressed and squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings to
remainder, slate roofs. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch,
chancel with south organ chamber. West tower: three stages, three string
courses and parapet with moulded cornice, pyramidal roof with weathervane,
semi-circular headed lancet vents with transoms to belfy stage. Nave: two
bays, raised verges; semi-circular headed lancet to left and 3-light window
with quatrefoil in central roundel and moulded label to right of gabled
porch with pointed arch headed entrance of two chamfered orders and label
with zig-zag enrichment; chancel: two bays with raised verge and with single
lancet to right of forward projecting gable of organ chamber with loop in
gable and shouldered arched head to doorway, octagonal shaft to chimney.
Interior: trussed rafter roof, two-bay arcade to north aisle with central
clustered pier and arches of two orders, outer chamfered, inner moulded,
rectangular plan responds, moulded bases and capitals, blind arcading to
north and east walls of north aisle, rose window to east wall of north aisle
with good stained glass. Chancel: trussed rafter roof, ceiled to eastern
bay, chancel arch of two orders, outer chamfered and inner moulded order
dying into decorative corbel. The church is one of G F Bodley's earliest
commissions.


Listing NGR: SO6449043467

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.