History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Church of St Bartholomew

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ashperton, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0707 / 52°4'14"N

Longitude: -2.5228 / 2°31'22"W

OS Eastings: 364258

OS Northings: 241493

OS Grid: SO642414

Mapcode National: GBR FV.CLTX

Mapcode Global: VH85S.764Z

Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew

Location: Ashperton, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Ashperton

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Listing Date: 6 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 152981

Source ID: 1098909

Listing Text

ASHPERTON CP CHURCH LANE
SO 64 SW

5/16 Church of St Bartholomew

6.3.67

- II*


Parish church. Early C14, incorporating mid-C13 chancel arch of earlier
building, late C18 west tower, and C19 south porch. Church restored 1840.
Sandstone rubble, part rendered, slate roofs. West tower, nave with south
porch and north and south transepts, chancel. West tower: three stages with
clasping buttresses, upper string course and crenellated parapet; simple Y-
tracery to vents of bell stage; south doorway in second stage with external
stair. Nave: five bays; part restored single lights with ogee-heads flank
gabled porch; 2-light window to gable end of south transept with trefoil-
headed lights, similar window to north transept. Chancel: three bays; single
ogee-headed light to west and 2-light window to east with trefoil-headed lights
(similar to windows of north and south transepts); east end, 3-light traceried
window with ovoid panel in render above. Interior: ceiled roof with mid-C16
moulded tie-beams; mid-C13 chancel arch of two orders with moulded captials
and water-holding bases to responds of inner order, ogee-headed piscina in
chancel and similar recesses in north side of east wall of nave and in south
wall of south transept. Plain restored hemispherical font on cylindrical
base to north of chancel arch, possibly C13 (formerly sited in churchyard),
further mid-C19 font towards rear of nave. Monuments: Thomas Lord memorial
dated 1652 on east wall of nave, wall tablet with trefoiled head; Wilson
memorial, late C17 wall monument with short columns supporting open segmental
pediment, inscription panel with folded ribbon detail to central oval panel,
inscription illegible. Church is near moated site of former castle belonging
to William de Grandison who obtained licence to crenellate in 1292. The
earlier church on this site was possibly built as a Chapel of Ease close to
the house. (RCHM, Vol II, p 2/3; Watkins, Duncomb's History of the County
of Hereford, Hundred of Radlow, 1902, p 10 and 12).


Listing NGR: SO6425841493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.