This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9348 / 51°56'5"N
Longitude: -2.5818 / 2°34'54"W
OS Eastings: 360096
OS Northings: 226411
OS Grid: SO600264
Mapcode National: GBR FR.NB5Z
Mapcode Global: VH86B.6MGN
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 25 February 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1099258
English Heritage Legacy ID: 154260
Location: Brampton Abbotts, County of Herefordshire, HR9
County: County of Herefordshire
Parish: Brampton Abbotts
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
BRAMPTON ABBOTTS CP BRAMPTON ABBOTTS
SO 62 NW
4/1 Church of St Michael
Parish church. C12 nave and chancel, C14 and C16 alterations; west wall
repaired in 1686, restored in 1848 and 1857 and during early C20, when
bell turret largely rebuilt, north vestry added and south porch rebuilt.
Sandstone rubble with stone slate roof C20, tiled pyramidal roof to bell
turret with shingle cladding. Nave with bell turret and south porch,
chancel and north vestry. Nave: raised verges; C19 trefoil-headed light
to left and square-headed C14 window largely restored with three trefoil-
headed lights to right of partly timber-framed gabled porch retaining some
C14 timber; C12 inner semi-circular headed doorway with plain tympanum,
attached shafts to jambs with mutilated scalloped capitals, inner order is
shouldered and supports tympanum; square plan bell turret occupying western
bay of nave with pyramidal roof. Chancel: raised verges, largely restored
C13 trefoil-headed light and C19 square-headed window with four trefoil-
headed lights to right; largely restored C12 semi-circular headed light to
east end. Interior: three-bay nave, possibly retaining C14 open arch-braced
collar roof; late C15 or early C16 chancel arch, two chamfered orders,
re-set and widened C12 responds, attached shafts with scalloped capitals
to outer western order. Fittings: font C15 octagonal bowl with quatrefoil
panels, trumpet-shaped stem with faces. Monuments: brass to John Rudhall,
died 1507 and wife with only figure of wife remaining. (BoE, p 80-81; RCHM
Vol II, p 23-24).
Listing NGR: SO6009626411
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings