History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wyastone Leys

A Grade II Listed Building in Ganarew, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8382 / 51°50'17"N

Longitude: -2.6823 / 2°40'56"W

OS Eastings: 353086

OS Northings: 215733

OS Grid: SO530157

Mapcode National: GBR FM.V98Q

Mapcode Global: VH86V.G2B4

Entry Name: Wyastone Leys

Listing Date: 3 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099455

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153799

Location: Ganarew, County of Herefordshire, NP25

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Ganarew

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ganarew

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Listing Text

SO 51 NW GANAREW CP GANAREW

5/8 Wyastone Leys

II


Former country house. Late C18 house, rebuilt 1861-1862 for John Bannerman
from designs of William Burn Ashlar, slate roofs, ogee-shaped leaded
capping to block tower and turrets. Double depth in plan aligned north/
south facing west, forward projecting service wing at north end, clock tower
in angle. Jacobean style. Four storey clock tower, 3 storey house, 2 storey
service wing; plain plinth string course at first floor level, moulded cornice
with parapet and shaped gables, rusticated quoins, pronounced architraves
to windows and decorative jewelled motif flanked by scroll to lintels of
first floor windows. Main range: 6 windows, single vertical glazing bar
sash windows to first and second floors, plain sash windows to ground floor,
shaped gables above right end bay and spanning 2 bays to left of entrance,
smaller shaped gable above entrance bay bearing Bannerman arms, lateral
stack with decorative octagonal shaft to left of left gable. Tuscan porch
with antae and parapet with 2 finials flanking central raised shaped panel
also bearing Bannerman arms, steps up to partly glazed door; single range
of narrow sash windows to clock tower to left, fourth storey containing
clock faces on 3 sides. Ogee capping has lucarnes and finial with weather
vane, single window range to gable end of service wing further to left with
glazed second door on ground floor. Right return garden elevation with
2 storey canted bay to left and turrets flanking single storey canted bay to
right, similar shaped gables and smaller gable over central window range,
pierced parapets to canted bays;, similar arrangement to rear elevation, with
louvred lantern to canted rear of service wing. Interior: largely altered
to accommodate business and domestic uses; long drawing room at rear of
ground floor retains some fine restored stucco ceiling ornament.


Listing NGR: SO5308615733

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.