History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Christ Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanwarne, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9494 / 51°56'57"N

Longitude: -2.721 / 2°43'15"W

OS Eastings: 350544

OS Northings: 228127

OS Grid: SO505281

Mapcode National: GBR FK.MCPR

Mapcode Global: VH867.S8DD

Entry Name: Christ Church

Listing Date: 30 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1099767

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155198

Location: Llanwarne, County of Herefordshire, HR2

County: County of Herefordshire

Parish: Llanwarne

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Llanwarne

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Listing Text

LLANWARNE CP -
SO 52 NW

3/42 Christ Church

- II

Parish church. 1864 by Messrs Elmslie (BoE). Coursed red sandstone,, lime-
stone dressings and spire, tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with two-bay nave,
north porch and south vestry off polygonal chancel; Geometrical style.
Chancel has single buttresses and 2-light traceried windows with 2-centred
heads and labels with head stops. Vestry has shouldered jambs to doorway
on east side; a 2-light mullioned window with undulating soffit under a
square head to south and a stack in its north-west corner, cellar doorway
on south side has triangular head. South transept has two lancets with
trefoiled tracery, labels and stops beneath a large rose window containing
three large and three small trefoils. Nave has almost triangular headed
windows of three trefoiled lights to north and south and a large 2-centred
3-light west window above which is a quatrefoil gable light. North porch
has a crocketted gable hood over a deeply moulded 2-centred arch supported
by a pair of attached columns with foliated capitals; above is an open
octagonal belfry with moulded strings to top and bottom and trefoiled tracery
in 2-centred labelled openings to each face, griffons sit on the string which
divides the belfry from its spire; the bottom of the spire is splayed and near
the top are lucarnes to the cardinal points. North transept has a 3-light
window and similar windows but of two lights to east and west. North doorway
has moulded 2-centred head and attached columns; to north and south within
the porch are single lancets whilst above are four cushion-shaped corbels
probably for an unexecuted stone vault; the ceiling above is boarded in
softwood. Interior: the roof of the nave is divided into four structural
bays, two with collared arch brace scissor trusses rising from corbels below
wall-plates. Chancel roof has overlapping angle struts; 2-centred moulded
chancel arch, with foliated label stops, rests on two heavy capitals with
detached columns supported on corbels. North-east, east and south-east
windows of the Nativity, Crucifixion and Resurrection are in memory of
Walter Baskerville Mynors, Rector 1855-96. South transept contains a
pipe organ by "Eustace Ingram, London NW, 1882". Mid-C19 pulpit is sandstone,
part octagonal with six marble columns supporting marble rail. Two wall
monuments to James and Rev Ralph Lochey, died 1822 and 1833, in the north
transept, were removed from the former Church of St John The Baptist (qv).
Nave has two south windows filled with Flemish or German C16 stained glass
medallions; a cracked medieval bell with "Missi de celis, habes nomen Gabrielis"
in Lombardic lettering; C17 font has hemispherical bowl with four acanthus
leaves rising from the bottom andcyclindrical stem with swags on moulded
circular base; mid-C17 chest, two front panels and end panels decorated with
semi-circular motifs; mid-C19 font has square base, moulded cyclindrical stem
and cylindrical bowl. (RCHM Vol I, p 178; BoE p 301).


Listing NGR: SO5054928127

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.