This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2559 / 51°15'21"N
Longitude: 1.018 / 1°1'4"E
OS Eastings: 610688
OS Northings: 155074
OS Grid: TR106550
Mapcode National: GBR TYD.66L
Mapcode Global: VHKK4.LPKL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 30 January 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1100352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171068
Location: Chartham, Canterbury, Kent, CT4
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
5273 CHARTHAM THE GREEN
Church of St Mary
TR 1055 29/231 30.1.67.
The church was built between 1285 and circa 1305 except for the tower which
is later C14. The whole was restored by G E Street in 1875. Large cruciform
building with west tower and south porch. Built of flint with stone dressings
and tiled roof. C15 roof with crossing covered by diagonal timber arches with
a loss of oak leaves. Transepts with very fine example of windows with kentish
tracery. Stained glass of circa 1294 in the chancel. Fine brass to Sir Robert
de Septvans d 1306 one of the oldest in the country and C18 wall monuments
including works by Rysbrack and Scheemakers. The churchyard contains C18 headstones
with skull, cherub, hourglass and anchor motifs.
Listing NGR: TR1069155076
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings