History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptst

A Grade II* Listed Building in Markyate, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8407 / 51°50'26"N

Longitude: -0.4644 / 0°27'51"W

OS Eastings: 505887

OS Northings: 216898

OS Grid: TL058168

Mapcode National: GBR G5N.HF1

Mapcode Global: VHFRL.WZTT

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptst

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Last Amended: 19 March 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1101241

English Heritage Legacy ID: 157923

Location: Markyate, Dacorum, Hertfordshire, AL3

County: Hertfordshire

District: Dacorum

Parish: Markyate

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Markyate Street St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Listing Text

MARKYATE CHURCH END
TL 0516
(North side)
7/144 Church of St. John
26.1.67 the Baptist (Formerly listed
as Church of St John)
GV
II*
Chapel of ease to Caddington parish, Bedfordshire until 1877, now a parish
church. Nave and W tower dated by '1734' on bell in tower and stone
plaque inside now at W end of S aisle 'THIS CHAPEL/WAS BUILT & INDOWED
BY/JOHN COPPIN/OF MERGERET CELL.ESQ/IN YE YEAR 1734'. S aisle dated by
exterior oval stone plaque 'THIS/CHAPEL ENLARGED/BY JOS HOWELL ESQR./
AD 1811'. Matching N aisle 1841 for Daniel Goodson Adey probably by
T.L. Donaldson (ex inf Goodhart Rendell index at NMR) with triangular
vestry built in N angle with tower. General restoration for Rev Francis
Wm Adey 1874. N door blocked, S door formed, S porch added and NW vestry
enlarged 1875. Gothic E parts added after it became a parish church,
1888 date on specification by John R Brown of Luton, external E end
foundation stone, laid by Mrs. Mary Brooke Adye on St. John the
Baptist's day AD1892 .... J R Browne and Son Archts: W G Durham Builder.
Oldest walling on tower and W wall of dark red brick chequered with blue
headers, sandier red brick in chequered walling with stone dressings of
N aisle, dull red with random black bricks in S aisle, plum brick to S
porch, plum brick with Bath stone dressings to E parts. Steep red tile
roofs with metal roofs at lower pitch behind parapets to the aisles.
When originally built this was a freestanding chapel in the SW part of
Cell Park approached from the N from the drive. It consisted of a long
narrow building with small crenellated slender W bell tower, diagonal
buttresses to each angle, central entrance on N with 4 windows, probably
5 matching windows on S side, and large round-headed E window. When the
S aisle was added in 1811 three windows were probably re-used and a S
arcade on wooden pillars was inserted and probably the W gallery. This
arcade was rebuilt in brick in 1841 when the N arcade and N aisle were
added presumably re-using the stone N doorway and 4 windows from the
former N wall, and extending the W gallery. Drawings preserved in the
church show that those arcades of 1842 were of 3 bays flanked by shorter
bays at each end blocked by screen walls. The present 3-bays arcades
date from the restoration and rebuilding of the nave roof in 1874-5 when
the N entrance was blocked and the S entrance formed. The later eastern
parts in Decorated style consist of a raised chancel, SE chapel and NE
vestry. The church now has its own access directly from the road to the
E and iron railings cut it off from the park, running 1M from the
blocked N door. The Nave has wide semi-circular arched arcades of 3
stepped shallow orders and dripmould raised on thick octagonal piers
with coved capitals. 6-bays open timber collar-truss roof boarded under
the rafters. S Aisle has 2 round-headed windows with rectangular leaded
glazing, central division, and wrought iron teramenta. S door formed in
lower part of a third window, C18 fielded panelling fixed to S wall with
carved panels probably from a pulpit. Grey marble wall monument to
Joseph Howell d.1819. N Aisle has 4 similar round headed windows, one
with a quarry inscribed '.... Halsey .... 1758', and a central recess
behind the blocked N doorway. Parts of C18 pews re-used in C19
re-seating one marked 'INCUMBENT' is renewed. W gallery of timber with
bowed front on 4 slender iron columns with C18 barley sugar twist
balusters set in open panels. Externally the Totternhoe stone round-
headed windows each have moulded architrave and archivolt with keystone
and impost blocks. Moulded sills below. The stone has been preserved by
limewash. The central external projection has its own moulded cornice,
V-jointed rusticated round arched doorway with projecting keystones.
The threshold is some height above ground level and must have been
appproached by steps. The W-tower has small pointed bell-stage openings
and diagonal buttresses rising only half its height. Brick string course
below crenellated parapet. Boiler chamber below ground on S side with
octagonal flue topping SW corner buttress of nave. S-porch is gabled
with tile roof and gable parapet. Circular opening in gable over arched
doorway of 2 stepped orders with keystone only to the inner. Fielded
panel double doors probably re-used from N door. The Chancel is entered
through a wide pointed arch with corbelled jamb-shafts and profuse
carved leaf capitals. 2 bays Dec arcade gives onto SE chapel. Lesser arch
on corbelled shafts divides off E end. Triple trefoil arches in S wall
for piscina and stepped sedilia. Similar shafts flank 3-light E window
with stained glass 1922 by A.L. Moore and Son. Red tiled floor with
diaper of black lines. Painted barrel vault. Choir stalls incorporate
barley sugar twist balusters possibly from an C18 altar rail. (VCH
(1908)190: Kelly (1914)183-4: Pevsner (1977)246: RCHM Typescript on
Markyate Cell: rcds kept at church).


Listing NGR: TL0588716898

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.