Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8143 / 51°48'51"N
Longitude: 0.1514 / 0°9'4"E
OS Eastings: 548396
OS Northings: 215045
OS Grid: TL483150
Mapcode National: GBR LD5.928
Mapcode Global: VHHM1.KNWH
Entry Name: Linden House
Location: Sawbridgeworth, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, CM21
District: East Hertfordshire
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Listing Date: 2 October 1981
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 160792
Source ID: 1101681
TL 4840 1503:1/12 (Linden House)
Rear range said to be c.1780. Early C19 range built in front. Facade
modernised in early Victorian period, 2 storey projecting N wing said to have
been added c.1940. Imposing stucco house with hipped slate roofs. 2 storeys
at front but 3 storeys at rear. Timberframed and plastered in parts but
brick front range and extension stuccoed. Formerly symmetrical 3 window
front. Projecting 2 storey wing on N with modified detailing, hipped
slate roof, gable chimney to E, and large circular bay on NW corner.
Stucco surrounds to E front windows with Greek classical mouldings. Sash
windows with 6/6 panes, moulded architraves, projecting cills on block
corbels. Upper windows have a cornice carried on scrolled consoles.
Lower windows have pediments on scrolled consoles. Wide central round
headed doorway up 4 Portland stone steps with moulded nosings. Door
surround with continuous bi-symmetrical moulding, paterae at springing,
and keystone with mask. Double doors,each of 3 panels. Fanlight
etched with anthemion pattern. Angled single storey projection on S
flank with 2 sash windows. At rear, a projecting 1st floor lobby supported
on cast iron column. Casement windows to 2nd floor. 2 light with 4 panes
to each. 1st floor sash windows with 6/6 panes. Gd floor sash windows
with 8/8 panes. Pump on S flank wall. Narrow brick storage range with
central archway projects to W from NW corner. Stair-hall has cornice with
reeded moulding around ceiling with superimposed square panels with paterae
in the manner of modillions, similar to that at 19 Knight Street opposite
of c.1800-1810. Details of cut string stair similar but form different.
Mahogany handrail and wreath. 6 panel doors generally. Gd floor SE room
front window has double hung panelled shutters housed in box under flap at
cill level. C.1940 extension has traditional Edwardian style detailing
and could be c.1910 on style. Dining room in rear part has lower ceiling.
Servants' stair behind main stair and leads down to a rear cellar. 1st
floor SE room has early C19 moulded marble fire surround with paterae on
corner stops. Reeding around ceiling but early Victorian running ivy scroll
added. Central acanthus motif to ceiling. 6 panel door with bi-symmetrical
mouldings. Roof has king post roof structure. Cast iron openwork square
gate piers with palmette decoration flanking 2 Portland stone steps from
pavement with wrought iron footscrapers on semi-circular stone bases. The
house was formerly named The Limes and is on the Tithe Map of 1839. A
house of considerable architectural interest. It is of importance to the
group of buildings at the N end of Knight Street.
Listing NGR: TL4839615045
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings