History in Structure

Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!

Railway Bridge over Southdown Road

A Grade II Listed Building in Harpenden, Hertfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.808 / 51°48'28"N

Longitude: -0.3464 / 0°20'47"W

OS Eastings: 514100

OS Northings: 213442

OS Grid: TL141134

Mapcode National: GBR H7J.P6Q

Mapcode Global: VHFRV.YT7C

Entry Name: Railway Bridge over Southdown Road

Location: Harpenden, St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL5

County: Hertfordshire

District: St. Albans

Parish: Harpenden

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Listing Date: 27 September 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 163612

Source ID: 1103004

Listing Text

TL 11 SW HARPENDEN SOUTHDOWN ROAD
HARPENDEN

5/78 Railway bridge over
Southdown Road

II

Railway bridge. Circa 1865 by Liddell and Barlow. Extended on W
side circa 1880, when the London-Midland track was made
quadruple. Cambridge blue brick. The E side has stone
dressings. The W side is mostly in dark red stock brick.
Semicircular tunnel arch crossing the road at a steep angle,
giving the arch the appearance of a parabola. The elevations
have 1 and 2 broad plain piers, left and right of the arch. Deep
parapet. The E side has a stone roll moulding round the arch and
T-shaped stone modillions in the stepped brick band below the
parapet. On the E side the blue and stock bricks are
indiscriminately mixed and the piers of the parapet have brick
modillions. The tunnel arch comprises 18 square sections set
diagonally and overlapping each other in a criss-cross, stepped
formation. The 9 sections on the E side have smooth stone
imposts. Continuous plain plinth, capped in stone on the E half.
On the NE and SW embankments are sloping abutments in blue brick.
Each has deep rectangular buttresses linked by deep arched
recesses which terminate as niches. Long sloping elevations
finished by short brick piers.


Listing NGR: TL1410013442

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.