History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cory Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Putford, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9179 / 50°55'4"N

Longitude: -4.3347 / 4°20'4"W

OS Eastings: 235987

OS Northings: 115752

OS Grid: SS359157

Mapcode National: GBR KC.QFQG

Mapcode Global: FRA 16TP.144

Entry Name: Cory Manor

Location: West Putford, Torridge, Devon, EX22

County: Devon

District: Torridge

Parish: West Putford

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Listing Date: 14 February 1958

Last Amended: 18 December 1989

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

English Heritage Legacy ID: 91972

Source ID: 1104954

Listing Text

SS31NE WEST PUTFORD CP VILLAGE CENTRE

3/65 Cory Manor (formerly listed as
Cory Park)
14.2.58

GV II*

Manor house. Late C16-early C17, open hall ceiled subsequently, billiard room added and
service area extended late C19-early C20, roofs replaced, hall ceiling removed and house
extensively restored late 1940s, architect John Macgregor. Random rubble local stone,
shallow pitch bitumenised slate roof hipped to left with external stone stack, brick
chimney, large lateral stone stack on rear elevation, stone stack north gable end of
north-west wing. Plan: open hall house facing east with coeval framed stair north end
giving access to crosswing, (date of north-east range uncertain), screens passage with
corridor between pantry and buttery giving acess to kitchen, C20 extensions on south-
west linked by wall to billiard room adjoining north-west wing to form courtyard. Two
storeys, 4:1 bays, all windows renewed C20 and leaded, one exception only, first floor 4-
light stone mullioned window left, 3-light metal, 2-light above entrance and 3-light
stone end bay right, mullioned and transomed window in gable end of wing, ground floor
4-light end bay left, small metal window set in larger opening, to left of entrance
original 4-light hollow chamfered mullioned window with king mullion under relieving
arch, with string course hoodmould, remains of plinth on facade of main block though,
not to wing which has 4-light stone mullioned window on ground floor; entrance via
round-headed doorway of uncertain date. Some C18/ early C19 leaded metal casements
survive on first floor west front, the 5-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window in south
gable end of north-west wing which is in decay is thought to be mid C20. There is a
tiny 2-light chamfered wooden window on north front. Interior: open hall with good
plasterwork overmantel with supporters, strapwork and coat of arms, badly decayed in
lower section, chamfered granite lintel to open fireplace, chamfered jambs, projection on
rear elevation, pointed arch window to right inserted mid C20, screenspassage wall
rebuilt, Jacobean-style panelling to minstrel's gallery of uncertain date, through
passage between pantry and buttery with original boarded partition, moulded arch
doorframes, newel stair in western room, kitchen now parlour with open fireplace,
chamfered lintel and cloam oven recess. Framed staircase to north of hall with plain
newel posts, no early features in rooms on east front. To west library with exposed
ceiling joists, impressive Jacobean-style overmantel, probably C19; 4-bay billiard room
reroofed in 1950s, handsome C19 door with decorative hinges opening onto courtyard;
first floor good plasterwork overmantel contemporary with that in hall, chamfered
wooden lintel to open fireplace and remains of plasterwork frieze, probably originally
with barrel vault roof now with principal rafter roof. Roof of main block partly seen; 7
or 8 pairs of collar beam trusses, the bases of 2 curved principals are visable above
the screens passage in hall. It is known that various features where incorporated into
the house in the 1950s and also earlier in the century. The granite porch mentioned in
the previous list was added in 1934 and has since been removed. The house is believed
to have been built by a member of the Prideaux family sometime between 1576 and 1611.
(Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Devon, forthcoming)


Listing NGR: SS3598715752

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.