Visiting for the first time since the site upgrade? Read what's new!
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.5337 / 50°32'1"N
Longitude: -4.1915 / 4°11'29"W
OS Eastings: 244784
OS Northings: 72734
OS Grid: SX447727
Mapcode National: GBR NT.HP6B
Mapcode Global: FRA 273N.8VW
Entry Name: Church of St Paul
Location: Gulworthy, West Devon, Devon, PL19
District: West Devon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Listing Date: 23 January 1987
Source: Historic England
English Heritage Legacy ID: 94058
Source ID: 1105704
TAVISTOCK HAMLETS GULWORTHY
SX 47 SW
- Church of St Paul
Parish church. License for performance of divine service granted 1856. Granite
rubble with granite dressings, Hurdwick dressings to windows and doors, slate roofs
with raised coped verges to gable ends and ridge tiles, cross finial to chancel and
bellcote at west end of nave.
Cruciform on plan, with nave and chancel in one, north transept and north vestry,
south transept with south porch at gable end. Early English style.
Nave and chancel have weathered diagonal buttresses and plinth, 3-bay nave has
lancets to north and south, chamfered, with relieving arches, all windows lattice
glazed, 2 west lancets, gabled bellcote with bell.
Chancel of one bay, has lancet to south, triple lancet to east, central one taller.
Vestry set in angle to north transept, has pitched roof and lancet to east, cellar
door and single-pane light below plinth level.
North transept has north door with pointed arch, surround of 2 chamfered orders with
moulded imposts, relieving arch, door with decorative strap hinges, lancet above and
lancet to west.
South transept has lancet east and west, smaller blind lancet in gable above single-
storey gabled porch, with pointed arched doorway of similar design to north door,
buttresses to sides; interior of porch has stone benches to sides, inner double doors
under pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders with run-out stopped impost blocks, roof has
principals and collars with wall plate.
Interior nave has 3-bay roof of arched-braces rising from struts of corbels, crossed
at apexes to meet principals, forming an arched scissors truss, with 2 rows of
purlins and wall plate; same structure continued for one bay over chancel. Each
transept has 2-bay roof of straight scissors trusses with 2 rows of purlins and wall
plate. Crossing has an arched-brace carried at a diagonal from each corner to a
central horizontal member, with principals treated in the same manner above forming a
2-tier roof structure. Nave has moulded rere-arches on corbels to west windows,
chancel has moulded arch on corbels with continuous hood-mould over the triple
lancet, rere-arch to south window. Moulded 4-centred arches between transepts and
crossing also springing from large corbels.
Fittings: Pine pews in nave and transepts. Octagonal stone font in nave with
quatrefoil panels and pyramidal steps to stem on roll-moulded base. Panelled wooden
pulpit on stone base in crossing, octagonal, with panels of cusped triangles with
shafts and angles. Pair of carved sanctuary chairs in chancel. Organ in north
transept, with pinnacles to sides and cusped open gable front, Casson's Patent, the
"positive" organ co. Ltd, LONDON W.
The church was built as part of the Duke of Bedford's estate land to serve the mining
community at Gulworthy and surrounding areas.
Listing NGR: SX4478472734
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings