This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.04 / 51°2'24"N
Longitude: -3.8969 / 3°53'48"W
OS Eastings: 267110
OS Northings: 128455
OS Grid: SS671284
Mapcode National: GBR KY.GQMP
Mapcode Global: FRA 26QC.HNR
Entry Name: Castle Hill House
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Last Amended: 13 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1107537
English Heritage Legacy ID: 98946
Location: Filleigh, North Devon, Devon, EX32
District: North Devon
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Filleigh St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
FILLEIGH CASTLE HILL
SS 62 NE
5/31 Castle Hill House
20.2.67 (Formerly listed as Castle Hill)
Country house situated in landscaped park. Dated rebuilding of late Tudor house in
1684, considerably enlarged and remodelled c.1730 by Roger Morris. Extended in 1841 and
1862 reputedly by Edward Blore. A disastrous fire in 1934 almost entirely gutted the
interior of the main range which was subsequently reconstructed with some
alterations to the plan architect, Duke of Wellington. Ashlar joint-lined stucco on stone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, hipped to projecting wings of main range and flanking
wings. Rebuilt rendered stacks to centre range. Ridge stacks to flanking wings with recessed
panalled sides and moulded caps.
The 1684 central block is basically rectangular but breaks forward at each end at
the front and the back forming a shallow H-shape plan. In circa 1730 it was
remodelled and flanking wings were added, set back, and terminating in square
pavilions in the Palladian manner. The central block contained a full height saloon
on the south garden front and a stair hall on the north entrance front. In 1841 and
1862 Edward Blore enlarged the house with a mansard roof and cupola over the centre
block and added the near left-hand wing and service block enclosing a courtyard.
After a fire in 1934, which gutted the centre block, the house was externally
reinstated to its 1730 form but the internal plan was altered and the saloon was
Central range: 2 storeys. 2:5:2 bays. Symmetrical. Central octagonal cupola
reconstructed after fire with lunettes to each face and surmounted by large ball
finial. Balustraded parapets with urns at the corners of the wings. Modillion
cornice and moulded entablature. All windows have 12-paned sashes and moulded
architraves, those to ground floor with flat bracketted hoodmoulds. Shallow central
portico with entablature with modillion cornice and pediment supported on engaged
Ionic columns and pilasters. Half-glazed door with 2-panelled base and 6-paned
overlight. Between the 2 wings is a raised terrace with flight of 3 stone steps to
door flanked by dogs. Decorative rainwater heads in the angles.
Window openings to east and west sides of wings to central range are similarly
treated to the garden front. Central doorways with sunken channelled pilasters and
bracketted pediments. Rear corner turrets have Vitruvian scroll platbands, blind
parapets and stone panels with swag decoration above upper storey windows, semi-
circular headed ground floor windows with keystones.
The low flanking wings are each 3:3:3 bays, symmetrical, the central rusticated 3
bays breaking forward slightly with pediments and plat bands. Modillion cornice and
entablature. Ball finials at intervals along the low parapet. Roundel windows with
moulded architraves to the upper storey of each end 3 bays, the left-hand (west)
wing with recessed 6 paned sashes, the east wing with radiating glazing bars with
busts in front. 12-paned sashes to ground floor with moulded architraves and
keystones. Central pedimented bays have 6 over 12 paned sashes with heavy keystones
flanking tall round-arched doorway with Diocletian overlight and large door of two
5-panelled leaves to west wing, replaced with half-glazed panelled doors to east
wing. The corner pavilions have domed lead roofs surmounted by pineapple finials,
modillion cornice and plat-band. 8-paned sash above heavily vermiculated rusticated
surround to large round arched doorway with door of 2 panelled leaves.
To the rear of the west wing corner pavilion, the rear courtyard facade is of 9 bays
with 6-panes above 12-pane sashes, terminating in another domed pavilion at its
The north entrance front of the main range has portico rebuilt in 1960's and
Venetian window over pedimented doorway with 6 panelled door. Plaque to left with
inscription 'Re-Edificat Per Arthur Fortescue AR AD 1684". Archway with rusticated
quoins into rear service courtyard. Adjoining the archway on the right is the deer
slaughterhouse with all its fittings intact - an unusual survival.
Interior: all the principal rooms were reconstructed after the fire in C18 style.
The front room to the projecting right-hand wing and the guest bedroom contain
elaborately carved wood chimneypieces in the rococo style which escaped the fire.
Castle Hill has been occupied throughout its history by the Fortescue family. The
principal remodelling and additions of c.1730 were carried out by Hugh, 1st Lord
Fortescue and the landscaping of the gardens by him and his successor Matthew, 2nd
Lord Fortescue. This was done by Roger Morris under the guidance of Lords Herbert and
Source: Colvin Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1978 2nd Ed.
Listing NGR: SS6711028455
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings