History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Revelstoke Park House

A Grade II Listed Building in Newton and Noss, Devon

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.3032 / 50°18'11"N

Longitude: -4.0198 / 4°1'11"W

OS Eastings: 256253

OS Northings: 46760

OS Grid: SX562467

Mapcode National: GBR Q2.5K7Q

Mapcode Global: FRA 28G7.9S2

Entry Name: Revelstoke Park House

Listing Date: 19 July 1984

Last Amended: 1 October 2010

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1107795

English Heritage Legacy ID: 100434

Location: Newton and Noss, South Hams, Devon, PL8

County: Devon

District: South Hams

Civil Parish: Newton and Noss

Traditional County: Devon

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon

Find accommodation in
Newton Ferrers

Listing Text

NEWTON AND NOSS

237/9/154 REVELSTOKE
19-JUL-84 Revelstoke Park House

(Formerly listed as:
REVELSTOKE
Stoke House)

II
A farmhouse, now in mixed domestic and office use, dating from the C17 or earlier with remodelling in the C19. The building is of two storeys, and is a five-bay structure, the easternmost two bays set slightly below the three bays towards the west; the west end is gabled and the east end is hipped. The three-window range has a ground floor C20 bay window, apart from which the windows are late-C19 or early-C20 timber casements of two lights with glazing bars. A C19 gabled porch with a chamfered-arch doorway set under a label moulding is set off-centre towards the east, inside which is a C17 panelled door with nail-studding. A large stack is set on the front wall at the break between the two ranges, with a moulded cap. The west end below the roof hip has a lean-to open porch.

MATERIALS: The building has roughcast rubble stone elevations set under slate roofs with tall roughcast stacks.

PLAN: The plan consists of a long single-depth range running east-west with outshuts and extensions to the rear.

EXTERIOR: The building is of two storeys, and is a five-bay structure, the easternmost two bays set slightly below the three bays towards the west; the west end is gabled and the east end is hipped. The three-window range has a ground floor C20 bay window, apart from which the windows are late-C19 or early-C20 timber casements of two lights with glazing bars. A C19 gabled porch with a chamfered-arch doorway set under a label moulding is set off-centre towards the east, inside which is a C17 panelled door with nail-studding. A large stack is set on the front wall at the break between the two ranges, with a moulded cap. The west end below the roof hip has a lean-to open porch.

HISTORY: Stoke House appears to have originated no later than the C17, as a farmhouse, set in an isolated position to the south of the small village of Noss Mayo, in the former manor of Stoke. Although the nearby estate of Membland was mentioned in Domesday there was no entry for Stoke, and the first record is in 1198, when Richard Revel was the lord of Stoke and gave it the name of Revelstoke. In 1226 the church of St Peter's on the cliffs at Stoke was built - it still stands, partially ruined, south of the site of Revelstoke Park House. In 1287 King Edward I gave Mathew Fitzjohn the manor of Stok, and so the village became known as Noss Mayo - Mathew's Nose. The fortunes of the area, mainly founded on fishing around the Yealm estuary, varied through the centuries, with the joining and division of land among the several local manors. Major changes came to Noss after 1877, the date of the purchase of Membland estate by Edward Baring, the 1st Lord Revelstoke, a member of the celebrated banking family. He transformed the C18 house (demolished in 1945, leaving only its outbuildings). In the remainder of the C19, many additions and improvements were made to the farm buildings around the estate, and it is likely that Revelstoke Park House was remodelled during this period. In 1895, the Barings bank crash brought financial disaster. The manor was sold, and in the subsequent sales in 1915 much of the property in and around Noss Mayo passed into private ownership. Revelstoke Park House appears to have remained largely unaltered since this period until the later C20, when a western porch and small first-floor extension were added. A caravan park was established in the grounds and, in the early C21, the house was partially converted to office use.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
Revelstoke Park House is designated at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* The house originated in the C17 or earlier as a farmhouse, and it retains a significant proportion of historic fabric from this phase of its development
* Its C19 remodelling was of good quality, and does not detract from special interest of the earlier building

SOURCES:
http://www.newtonnoss.co.uk/history.asp (accessed 24 Jan 2009)

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.