This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.4106 / 50°24'38"N
Longitude: -3.8104 / 3°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 271459
OS Northings: 58319
OS Grid: SX714583
Mapcode National: GBR QD.PQVC
Mapcode Global: FRA 27XY.TM1
Entry Name: Avon Grove
Listing Date: 26 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1108204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 101380
Location: North Huish, South Hams, Devon, TQ10
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: North Huish
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Diptford St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
4/469 Avon Grove
House on the Black Hall (qv) estate. Circa 1840-45 (not depicted on Black
Hall estate map of 1840) and with C20 additions. Rendered stone rubble, slate
hung left hand west side. Asbestos slate hipped roof with deep eaves; the
back slope of the roof is carried down to lower eaves over the back rooms.
Symmetrically placed rendered stacks with heightened shafts.
Plan: Approximately square double depth plan. 2 principal front rooms with
an entrance hall between containing the stairs and smaller rooms behind; the
right hand back room is the study and the left hand room at the back is the
kitchen; the pantry and other services may have been in the narrow single
storey wing at the back of the kitchen. In the C20 an extension was built at
the back to the right and the front porch was replaced.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-window south front. First floor C19 16-
pane sashes, ground floor larger C19 12-pane sashes with cills almost at
ground level. Central doorway with C19 6-panel door the bottom 2 panels
flush, the top 4 panels fielded and a rectangular overlight with margin
glazing bars. Early C20 glazed wooden porch replaces a C19 porch said to have
had a tented roof. The left hand return has blind window to the right and 16-
pane sashes to the left towards the back. The right hand east return has
large 12-pane sash to left with a blind window above and 16-pane sashes to the
right towards the back.
Interior The right and left hand front rooms each have moulded plaster
ceiling cornices and black marble chimneypieces; the left hand chimneypiece
painted white. The study behind the right hand room has an original
chimneypiece also. The C19 joinery is largely intact including panelled doors,
panelled internal window shutters and a closed string staircase to the left
of the entrance hall with stick balusters and a moulded handrail ramped to
Listing NGR: SX7145958319
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings